Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPod Wannabe's

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default iPod Wannabe's

My wife likes the idea of an iPod with a radio/dock option, but we're both freaked out by the insane price for an iPod touch. What other MP3 players have an option to drop it into a dock with speakers too?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Default Re: iPod Wannabe's

chinese knock offs with ****ty resistive touch screen r about the only thing that use the exact same port other than that your basically stuck with 3.5 headphone jack based ones..
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

The Sansa line, IIRC, has the same physical port, not sure about the electrical connection.

*Have you checked local classifieds, such as Craigslist?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I literally use my iPod Touch as a portable computer every day. I'm typing this on my Touch right now. Most of my posts are posted from my Touch, actually. It's a fantastic device. There isn't a better one like it out there in my honest opinion.

However, it's a poor choice if all you want to use it for is music. It would be better to just buy a clock radio with a line-in option and then buy an affordable mp3 player. Sansa is what comes to mind. And they have a very few mediocre actual docking stations.

But if you're dead set on that idea, iPod is the way to go. Buy used or a cheaper model. But keep in mind that the Touch is an absolutely fantastic device that does SO much more than video and music. I've had one for years and could not imagine my life without it. It's just far too handy and useful.

I have a Zune and love it. It's similarly priced to an ipod, however, and there are fewer docks for it. If you don't have issues with iTunes (I've never been in love with the software and it always seemed to mess around with my music files and libraries too much) then I say go with an iPod. They're expensive but nice and you'll have a very large selection of docks.

My wife has a Creative Zen that she loves. There aren't any docks specifically made for them that I know of, but there are plenty on cheap docks with 1/8" input plugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Anodized

As a purebread music player I love my Sansa. Cheap, reliable and most importantly I can use a subscription music service with it. As far as docks go the new Sansas dont use the Ipod style connector any longer they only have Mini-usb and the port for the headphones. I bet you could mod say a Dell soundbar to work with one... this is a modders forum afterall...

I like my Sansa as well. There are some speaker docks for them as well..

http://anythingbutipod.com/2006/09/a...-speaker-dock/

If you looking for anything but an ipod.. you might check out...

http://anythingbutipod.com

There are a good number of speaker docks with a 3.5" headphone jack input, as such they will work with anything. For that sort of thing I personally use an adapter cable to the line-in on my bookshelf stereo.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

My son has an iPod Touch he wants to sell - I'll ask him if it's the 16 or 32gb version - if you're interested that is - he's only selling it because he now has an android phone which he uses for his music...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey