Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GEOHOT takin it to tha streetz dawg

Default GEOHOT takin it to tha streetz dawg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iUvuaChDEg

i personally thought he was a bit of a cocky turd...
    but now its serious, Yo!

i dont like the guy.... but i believe in what he believes in
    power to the ppl!
    viva la revolution!

ur guys thoughts on the man standing up for user rights?
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

Default Re: GEOHOT takin it to tha streetz dawg

im just worried that if sony wins this apple will appeal the jail breaking legality. ect ect.
    Not dead yet

I'm in favour of anything that helps me avoid copy protection.
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Getting sued for fixing my biggest complaint with thePS3. F%^*@#G corporate dillweeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Being sued by Sony doesn't exactly call for "Viva la left wing extremists."
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

If that was really him, wow.
    He's well on his way to trading all remaining 'grown up cred' for 'street cred', which is worthless in the court room...or anywhere else for that matter.
    I haven't followed this crap very closely...<---disclaimer...but I honestly have no issue with a company determining how their services and networks are used. I do believe a consumer should be able to modify a purchased product however they see fit though...look where I'm posting this! But if you mod the product in a way that could cause problems on their network, whether legal or illegal, the company should have every right to terminate your access to that network. They own the network so they're the boss.
    People that are complaining about all of this are the ones that made the mistake of buying a console in the first place. PC games FTW!
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Ok, so he's a bit of a jacka** ...doesn't excuse Sony's behavior.

I haven't been following it closely either, but from what I have read, it went something like this:
    1) Sony releases console with gimped otherOS function.
    2) Community is frustrated by this, figures out how to un-gimp it.
    3) Instead of patching the security hole that was discovered in step 2 or just un-gimping it themselves, Sony completely removes said otherOS feature.
    4) Community is frustrated, figures out how to unlock it again.
    5) Sony goes apes*** and decides to 'make an example' of one of the more prominent figures in said community.

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    But if you mod the product in a way that could cause problems on their network, whether legal or illegal, the company should have every right to terminate your access to that network.
    They didn't just ban him from their network, they sued him, got a restraining order against him (???), and (last I heard) were trying to seize any computer equipment that could have been used in the process of breaking their key. Plus (again, last I heard), they're trying to get the case tried in California instead of New Jersey, where the defendant lives. I hardly think the location matters much to Sony, monetarily, and if they're actually in the right it shouldn't matter where it's tried. So the only reason I can think of that they're insisting on California is to try and make the cost of defense too overwhelming for the defendant to continue.

Overall, massive overreaction, at the very least. At worst, a paranoid's wet dream.

Sorry, Sony. I'm rooting for GEOHOT on this one. Stop throwing so much poo in everyone's face and maybe I'll reconsider.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Sony, Sony, Sony.

2nd biggest thing I heard with them is installing spyware on supposedly "blank" CDs.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I think I'm mixing up some Sony battles. There was, I thought, active banning of MAC addresses or whatever by Sony to prevent hacked consoles from connecting to the network for security reasons. It might still be this same incident though, as geohot was hacking the low-level security code to enable the running of any software (including malicious code and copyrighted software) which is what Sony is getting pissy about. Also, it looks to me like geohot was facilitating piracy, copyright infringement, and possibly the introduction of PS3 viruses. First Amendment? Not when it infringes on the rights of others...and corporations have all the same rights as you and I.

I honestly don't think the restraining order was out of line...especially with the amount of arrogance he likely put into his responses to cease and desists. I wouldn't be so quick to lay all the blame on Sony. I know if some little punk gave me 1/10th the attitude this kid seams to have and I had unlimited resources, I'd crush him to make an example too.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Yes, hacked PS3's are banned from the Playstation Network, but that's not what this case is about.

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    It might still be this same incident though, as geohot was hacking the low-level security code to enable the running of any software (including malicious code and copyrighted software) which is what Sony is getting pissy about. Also, it looks to me like geohot was facilitating piracy, copyright infringement, and possibly the introduction of PS3 viruses.
    The same can be said for the people who hacked the iPhone...or any other device that runs software..or does anything at all, really.

Also, at least from the articles I've read, he made it very clear at every stage of his work that he was not facilitating piracy. Just because something that he made makes it easier for pirates to work doesn't necessarily mean that he is facilitating piracy. That's like saying road pavers are facilitating speeders by making roads that can be driven on safely at speeds higher than the speed limit. Or saying hardware stores are facilitating burglars by selling hammers. A good example of what I'm talking about is the PC software security industry. Stuff like what geohot did happens ALL THE TIME there. But do the companies get all upset and sue the people airing their dirty laundry to the world? No! They fix the damn problem...hell, a lot of companies offer rewards to do what he did.

Like I said before; yes, he's a jacka**. That doesn't excuse using the US Judicial system as your plaything to punish people you don't like.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV