Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Self Doubt . . .

Default Re: Self Doubt . . .

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    So much for integrity, but whatever, I've grown to hate people. Makes it hard to make close friends when I don't agree with so much of what most people do.
    This is exactly the problem with MOST students today. Note I didn't say all but yes a large amount of this happens everyday without enough reprecussions on the odd chance they get caught. It may come around and bite them it the rump later. But by then they've most likely graduated and got a job and now make the school look bad by not "teaching" effectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Ya. Sucks that these will be the people I'll be competing against for jobs after I graduate.

I am by no means perfect, but I tend to think character flaws can be worked on / overlooked but you can't change someone with crappy integrity/honor.

I guess that's why I've always gotten along with old people. Never fit in with my generation. Too many people I know act as though they are owed or are entitled to something. And if they don't act as though it should all just come to them, they will go and do whatever to get it, regardless of who they affect along the way. Bleh.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Ugh.

Seems like general population is becoming bad.
    [sarcasm]By the looks of it, an untrained monkey will have a higher IQ than the average person.[/scarcasm]

I AM annoyed with the fact that I am stuck in history class with a bunch of brats with a whiney teacher. NOT a good learning environment.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

It's not something I'm proud to admit, but I've cheated twice in exams during my uni course... however it's not quite what you think. A lot of the subjects I take give a formula sheet for their exams... except majority of them are nearly useless for the exam, some subjects don't even give a formula sheet, but we're expect to memorise long and usually complex formulas. We're not allowed to take in any supplement material unless we're allowed to, but that's a rarity.
    So on 2 occasions, I programmed formulas into my graphics calculator, and then hid them. I technically met the requirements for the exam by erasing the RAM of the graphics calculator getting rid of the formulas... but I bring them back using another function built into the calculator, the exam coordinator knows about this function, in my first year at uni, I showed him, but he wasn't concerned about it at all. Anyway, the only way I cheat.... is by using an external memory device to have the formulas I need since I have a very poor memory.

I hate exams since in the real world, you have all the reference material you need with you, or have the means to quickly get that material.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    I hate exams since in the real world, you have all the reference material you need with you, or have the means to quickly get that material.
    Exactly why I loathe most of the modern education system. It says it's supposed to prepare the students for a career, but the way that they evaluate that preparation is by placing them in a situation that does not exist anywhere outside of academia. ...well, ok, there's a couple situations with similar limited access to outside information, but not many people end up in those situations...
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Anodized

The slackers in your class are the same people who will end up in the workplace and forget tiny insignificant things like proper Error Handling or Trash Collection. Then I get caught having to deploy this in the field..... I swear one day I'm going to snap and stab some codemonkey in the groin with a spork.

When it all comes down to it however a good shop is going to be able to weed out canidates who know their trade during the interview process. Remember that you have been coding this as a game for a couple of years, you'll be interveiwing with someone who has been doing this to put food on the table day in and out for years. Trust me if you walk in there and don't know your stuff they will know, proboly after the 1st question or two.

My point here is taking your time and learning your buisiness inside and out now will pay dividends when it comes time to go for that first job and posibly keep you from being stabbed with a blunt object by an angry Systems Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
    The slackers in your class are the same people who will end up in the workplace and forget tiny insignificant things like proper Error Handling or Trash Collection. Then I get caught having to deploy this in the field..... I swear one day I'm going to snap and stab some codemonkey in the groin with a spork.
    Just make sure the one you're stabbing is the one who did it, not someone who just got the tangled mess that is the codebase dumped on their lap and is trying desperately to make sense of the damn thing. ...because I've totally never been in that situation... Trust me, they'll want to stab the one responsible at least as much as you.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

We had another quiz yesterday, this time actual problems and not multiple choice and they did it again. I pointed it out to the professor politely in an email and he said he will address it. I couldn't care less as I knew this stuff and we aren't graded on a curve, but I know a few people in the class study their asses off and still can't quite grasp it. It isn't fair for them to have people with the same level of knowledge and understanding get a leg up by cheating.

All we had to do was describe a way of proving the set of all infinite streams of (insert finite alphabet here, in this case ASCII characters) was uncountable and a few other similar yet relatively trivial problems. I was the first done and out, and I could see people's papers as I left that were still entirely blank, including those who were cheating on their laptops.

I wonder how they are going to do next Wednesday when we have another quiz on proving correctness of deterministic finite automata, and using the pumping lemma to show a language is non-regular.

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Exactly why I loathe most of the modern education system. It says it's supposed to prepare the students for a career, but the way that they evaluate that preparation is by placing them in a situation that does not exist anywhere outside of academia.
    I understand exactly what you mean, x88x. Skill assessment (a.k.a. testing) in schools & universities is largely unrealistic in comparison to real-world application. That's why I prefer, whenever possible, to give what educators call "authentic assessments" (in business, it's called "performance based review"). Basically, after teaching the material, give them a "real-world" problem that they can use all resources available on, and they build a portfolio that I then assess at the end of the grading period.

However, from my perspective as a teacher, the problems that create this unrealistic testing situation are two-fold: 1) current teaching methods are largely dictated less by methods proven by research to stimulate learning and more by what must be covered to pass the state-mandated test for the subject. Since it is largely lawyers & career politicians in various state capitols who drive education policy, and thus the standards, this leads to teaching to the paper test so you can attempt to keep your job. 2) traditional paper tests leave a nice "paper trail" that can used as a good defense when a belligerent parent comes in wondering why their perfect little darling is failing your class. Much like doctors who are forced to practice "defensive medicine," teachers will practice "defensive assessment" because, rather than assuming that teachers are generally competent with a few rare exceptions, the general public (but lawmakers especially) assumes teachers are all incompetent with a few rare exceptions.

Stepping off my soap box now...

All we had to do was describe a way of proving the set of all infinite streams of (insert finite alphabet here, in this case ASCII characters) was uncountable and a few other similar yet relatively trivial problems.
    Oooooh...I have to ask what type of proof you used. Seems it would be a generalization of that controversial "diagonals" argument Cantor used for why there are uncountably many numbers between 0 and 1. Or did you use something a little less likely to induce rabid foaming at the mouth to strict logicians?

I wonder how they are going to do next Wednesday when we have another quiz on proving correctness of deterministic finite automata, and using the pumping lemma to show a language is non-regular.
    If they are anything similar to the people I knew in my classes who did the same thing, they will derp it up royally, and then complain that it's the instructors fault, because heaven forbid the instructor require them to think!
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.

papers as I left that were still entirely blank, including those who were cheating on their laptops.
    lol. I love it when that happens. If they'd put as much effort into actually learning the material as they did into cheating, they'd probably be out the door right behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED View Post
    1) current teaching methods are largely dictated less by methods proven by research to stimulate learning and more by what must be covered to pass the state-mandated test for the subject. Since it is largely lawyers & career politicians in various state capitols who drive education policy, and thus the standards, this leads to teaching to the paper test so you can attempt to keep your job.
    This drove me nuts the short time I worked at a school, even though I didn't have anything to do with the education (computer tech). The entire 3 months I was there, right up until they took the actual tests, the only thing that they taught the kids was the material to pass the state tests..
    --Benjamin Franklin