Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Build My Computer

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Default Re: Build My Computer

While I haven't had a chance to use anything outside of the Vertex line, I love mine. I don't know if OCZ still has the same advantage as they did in the early days with the fully unlocked Sandforce firmware. A 120GB is a great size, that's going to be big enough to put games and programs on whereas the 64GB would be tight (depending on how many games and programs you have).

IMHO, OCZ has one of the best rebate programs for Canadians as they still will give out a check, rather than a prepaid card. I've never had an issue with getting my rebates from them, though I'm pretty thorough to ensure I get them.
    TheMainMan

The above question about the OCZ SSD's still stand, but in the meantime here are some pics of the PSU and HSF. I took the pictures as if I was writing a review, so get over it:

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 850W, TPG-850M

Full package:

Tons of cables:

Big fan rated at 16dBa:

Well labeled connectors:

If you want to see the case I'm putting it all in, the Thermaltake Armor A30, check out Joe O'Meara's article here.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII S

Box shots:

Bunch'a parts:

Heatpipes:

120mm of silent goodness:

They chop some fins off for RAM/MOSFET/capacitor fitment:

Basically just a big tower cooler laid over, right?

The only thing I worry about, of course, is air flow. Without a motherboard or CPU in place, check out how close the CPU cooler is to the PSU. The two fans will be pulling air in opposite directions, but with the 92mm up front and two 60s in the back I hopefully won't have to worry too much.

I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    While I haven't had a chance to use anything outside of the Vertex line, I love mine. I don't know if OCZ still has the same advantage as they did in the early days with the fully unlocked Sandforce firmware. A 120GB is a great size, that's going to be big enough to put games and programs on whereas the 64GB would be tight (depending on how many games and programs you have).

IMHO, OCZ has one of the best rebate programs for Canadians as they still will give out a check, rather than a prepaid card. I've never had an issue with getting my rebates from them, though I'm pretty thorough to ensure I get them.
    Damn you TMM, I had almost convinced myself to wait on buying the drive! Now I gotta keep thinking...

Guess I'll see what causes the price difference between the Agility, Solid, and Vertex lines.

EDIT: Alright, did the research and pulled the trigger on the 120GB Agility 3. $145.34 shipped with the potential for a $30 MIR Card. Woo!
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

In the cables pictures for the Thermaltake Grand, what are the four rubber/plastic looking pieces on the left for?

I don't think that you'll have too much of a problem with the cooler and CPU, by the pictures you've got what, about an inch and a half of space? As long as you have decent airflow overall, I don't think either will be starved for air.

Sorry One thing I've found by having an SSD as the OS drive that I didn't realize until I built my SO an non-SSD system, is that hard drive noise is significantly reduced because the OS isn't always seeking on a mechanical.
    TheMainMan

Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    In the cables pictures for the Thermaltake Grand, what are the four rubber/plastic looking pieces on the left for?

I don't think that you'll have too much of a problem with the cooler and CPU, by the pictures you've got what, about an inch and a half of space? As long as you have decent airflow overall, I don't think either will be starved for air.

Sorry One thing I've found by having an SSD as the OS drive that I didn't realize until I built my SO an non-SSD system, is that hard drive noise is significantly reduced because the OS isn't always seeking on a mechanical.
    Those are cable clamps. The molding on them is extremely tight though, and it was super hard for me to get one open and then reclose it without cables in it! Looks like I'll be using zip ties. The two rubber things with the 3M strip under those clamps are rubber corner mounts for the back of the PSU. Since the PSU is rounded, those rubber corners provide a little bit of shock absorption and cushion.

Cool, thanks for the explanation. It seems like a really well thoughtout product.
    TheMainMan

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

All those fans are going to starve that processor fan of pressure

You could reverse those two small rear fans to intake, or flip all the fans in the power supply to blow instead of suck. i wouldn't do that to the processor if that is all going to be buttoned up and closed, but thats just my two cents : P

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post

All those fans are going to starve that processor fan of pressure

You could reverse those two small rear fans to intake, or flip all the fans in the power supply to blow instead of suck. i wouldn't do that to the processor if that is all going to be buttoned up and closed, but thats just my two cents : P
    Thanks for the tip Twig! That sounds like a pretty good idea. The side vents, graphics card, and PSU should be sufficient enough to transfer all that extra air out of the case, right?

On a related note, I snagged some Mushkin Enhanced Silverline DDR3-1333 8GB (2x4GB) in a Shell Shocker yesterday. Purchase price was $29.99, with a $5 MIR. Woo!

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Datech View Post
    Thanks for the tip Twig! That sounds like a pretty good idea. The side vents, graphics card, and PSU should be sufficient enough to transfer all that extra air out of the case, right?
    I'd assume so, but its easier to know when its sitting right in front of you.

I'd wait to see how close that CPU cooler is going to be sandwiched against the power supply though.. because you might end up wanting to flip the power supply's fans around and have the rest of the fans exhaust the air if the CPU fan is going to be right against the PSU fans.

Not to mention that would make a lot of buffeting and sound having two fans fight each other for air right next to each other.

(good deal on the ram man! )

flip the psu upside down