Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Turning my 1982 Porsche 911 SC Targa to "the one i always wanted"

Default Re: Turning my 1982 Porsche 911 SC Targa to "the one i always wanted"

Hi Twigs,

The euro bumpers do look pretty nice. I really dig'em. Not at the top of my priorities list but it's something I've considered. The normal bumper has kind of grown on me. My next plan is a few simple exhaust mods and shifter mods but I'd really like to go with a euro bumper setup. I think before I do that I would actually go with a front-mount intercooler setup. The easy way to do it would be to get a 930 bumper and get it mounted. Then get rid of the stupid trombone cooler and move to a front mount cooler which is a really nice temp difference.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CorsePerVita View Post
    Hi Twigs,

The euro bumpers do look pretty nice. I really dig'em. Not at the top of my priorities list but it's something I've considered. The normal bumper has kind of grown on me. My next plan is a few simple exhaust mods and shifter mods but I'd really like to go with a euro bumper setup. I think before I do that I would actually go with a front-mount intercooler setup. The easy way to do it would be to get a 930 bumper and get it mounted. Then get rid of the stupid trombone cooler and move to a front mount cooler which is a really nice temp difference.
    just make sure what ever you do, You can un-do!

Front intercooler setup would be sweet, i remember seeing some sort of Air scoop on those particular Porsches similiar to the old MR-2's

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...0001_large.jpg

http://www.uk-tuning.com/acatalog/To...cop%202614.jpg

http://www.rsbodykits.co.uk/newimage...KE%20kopia.jpg

But i'll be damned if i can actually find a picture of a 911 with what im talking about, so it was probably a one off type of deal.

I assume on the 930' your talking about those slantnose models with the wide open mouth along the bottom? Man that would be sweet, especially with a nice shiny a@# intercooler sitting inside.

You thought about adding that famous giant duck wing on the rear?

I'm not a huge fan of the ducktail except on the 2.7RS models. I kinda like my whale tail, always wanted one with a whale tail. The scoop I think you may be talking about is molded into the tail, the RAUH-Welt models use them a lot for cooling.

The scoop I'd be implementing if I don't end up with a front-mount oil cooler would be to remove the passenger side signal (2nd signal) and put a scoop in there. They seem to work really well. Especially on days like today where it is super hot and driving long distances on the highway results in 220+ temps lol.

All 930 models had those similar front mount oil cooler setups just because they'd get so much hotter than the regular 3.0 NA models. Slant nose was just a factory body setup, but a lot of the 930 models had those bumper upgrades. The other common "Cool thing" to do is to get an RUF front bumper conversion which not only LOOKS really nice but had a huge front area for an oil cooler setup, so that would be a huge improvement.

My only thought on that is that because this is a winter car as well (driven all times of the year) that may be overkill in the winter. Then again, it's a thermostatically controlled oil cooler anyway, so it isn't like it's going to overcool since the car in the winter time still reaches close to 200F once it's warmed up, it just takes a long time to get there lol.

I'm not a huge fan of the ducktail except on the 2.7RS models. I kinda like my whale tail, always wanted one with a whale tail. The scoop I think you may be talking about is molded into the tail, the RAUH-Welt models use them a lot for cooling.

The scoop I'd be implementing if I don't end up with a front-mount oil cooler would be to remove the passenger side signal (2nd signal) and put a scoop in there. They seem to work really well. Especially on days like today where it is super hot and driving long distances on the highway results in 220+ temps lol.

All 930 models had those similar front mount oil cooler setups just because they'd get so much hotter than the regular 3.0 NA models. Slant nose was just a factory body setup, but a lot of the 930 models had those bumper upgrades. The other common "Cool thing" to do is to get an RUF front bumper conversion which not only LOOKS really nice but had a huge front area for an oil cooler setup, so that would be a huge improvement.

My only thought on that is that because this is a winter car as well (driven all times of the year) that may be overkill in the winter. Then again, it's a thermostatically controlled oil cooler anyway, so it isn't like it's going to overcool since the car in the winter time still reaches close to 200F once it's warmed up, it just takes a long time to get there lol.
    oh something more like this?

although i think thats a intercooler and not a oil cooler.

not so much poking out the front, behind the bumper more, but yeah, front mount oil cooler like that would be cool. Think I'll try the turn signal removal and put a scoop in and see how it affects my temps first. Then go from there.

I like that bumper above btw, looks good.

not so much poking out the front, behind the bumper more, but yeah, front mount oil cooler like that would be cool. Think I'll try the turn signal removal and put a scoop in and see how it affects my temps first. Then go from there.

I like that bumper above btw, looks good.

Didn't they have 911's with slots in the rear quarter panels in front of the tire tubs?

http://cyberdesignconcepts.com/guent..._slantnose.jpg

lol looks like a awesome place for a oil cooler and A/C Cooler on the opposing side if i've ever seen one. But something tells me thats a crap load more work and money to get that changed.

Unless your brave enough to buy some scoops and take a skill saw to a vintage Porsche that is...

I'm going to have to start a thread on this 86' lincoln we've been working on. new control arms, new bearings, new ball joints, new bushings all around, new struts, sanded polished and sprayed the frame, cleaned and sprayed the springs, new suspension bumpers, new A/C pump (re-filled with R-12 mwuahhaha industrial licence) new radiator, new distributor, new coil, new cables and iridium plugs. replaced the carpeting in the front lol it goes on and on.

Currently taking out the crap engine driven clutch fan and installing two electric fans. Hah we took it around the block with out the engine fan installed one day and it hauled WAY more ass then it did before, so that fans got to go man! We've just got to figure out how/where to place a thermister and a control circuit of some type for them electric fans.

We've basically went back and repaired all the damage and lack of maintenance he did to it as a teenager.

Now we're starting to pimp it out with better parts.

Alright so I went ahead and did a few things for the oil cooling.

- Ordered an oil cooler scoop for the 911 today
    - Cleaned off the brass lines with steel wool on the oil cooler

After cleaning up all the oil lines with steel wool and getting the brass exposed again it dropped the temps a noticeable amount today. Yesterday was 85, today was 85, same drive, nothing different and my temps didn't really go above half which was nice.

What I think I want to do, however, is perhaps modify the stock cooler. Right now a carerra cooler setup is close to $1000. I figure why spend that on something that is just an expensive cooler, when I can modify the stock cooler to work better and more efficiently.

So realistically a good bit comes from airflow underneath the car, where the lines route. The rest is the trombone cooler in the fenderwell. So now that the brass is exposed again (not covered in mud/grime/crud/crap) it can do an efficient job again.

But I figured... the bumper DOES have a gap... what if I could fabricate some sort of small scoop in the bumper using the lip in the bumper?
    Here's kind of a crappy mspaint example I am thinking of. I think with the turn signal removal and oil scoop addition scoop, and then a small scoop in the fender lip, it would help the original cooler a good bit.

Now... the reason I think this is a fun subject is because I know a lot of you guys deal with brass/aluminum/copper heatsinks on cpus, so a lot of you guys get cooling and how to cool things better. What would be a GOOD WAY to bring air INTO the cooler OR a good way to efficiently cool what is already there with simple modification?

Here's a pic from pelicanparts on what a trombone cooler looks like in the fenderwell (with the wheel removed so you can see)

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

What are the dimensions of that space? I have this crazy idea of replacing that trombone cooler with a heater core.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    What are the dimensions of that space? I have this crazy idea of replacing that trombone cooler with a heater core.
    The carrera cooler basically is just a small radiator type unit that replaces it. I've got a buddy who sells Porsche parts who has a used one he'll sell me for $200. But I'd like to improve on the setup that is there if at all possible before yanking everything out.

The other concern with pulling out what is there and putting in a new cooler that I haven't used before would also be oil flow, don't want to restrict the flow to the engine by any means, so it'd have to have a good flow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Ok, so you were just thinking improving the airflow over what's already there?

If you put a scoop where you sketched it, then put a shroud along the bottom and up around behind the cooler with an exhaust up where the cooler hook-ups are, that would let you create the optimal airflow over the existing cooler.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV