Thread: Dragon Age: Origins

Default Dragon Age: Origins

Has anyone else played this game? It's freaking awesome! It's like a movie, a book and a game all rolled up into one awesome RPG. I haven't been addicted to a video game since my WoW days. I just can't put the controller down!

My only gripe is with the expansion costs. The main expansion cost more than the game itself while the other one costs about the same. Then there are a bunch of mini-expansions that come in totaling a fairly hefty price tag. This doesn't even include the non-gameplay DLC which honestly, should be free considering how much you're looking at spending here. And it's not like you can pay for them individually because they're all priced below the lowest amount that you can purchase, so if you buy one wallpaper for example, you can't, so you'll have to get two otherwise you'll have a small amount of points left over that you paid for without reason. The entire XBOX Live Credit system is BS. But it's still an improvement over nothing at all. :p

There's 6 mini-expansions totaling 2,880 XBOX Live Credits.

There's 2 main-expansions coming in at 1200 and 2400 XBOX Live Credits.

Then there is the "feastday combo pack" which adds both the "pranks" as well as "gifts" DLC for a total of 240 XBOX Live Credits or you can buy them separately for 160 Credits each.

Total = 6,720 XBOX Live Credits.*
    Total in Cash = $84
    GRAND TOTAL IN CASH = $114**

Holy bleepin' bleepidy bleep! That's not expensive at all is it!?***

*Does not even include non-gameplay DLC.
    **Includes cost of game itself, as the expansions would be useless without it.
    ***Bleeped for the children and the innocent of ears.
    Last edited by Lothair; 02-11-2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Edited. Edited again for great justice! lol

Default Re: Dragon Age: Origins

The game is very good. I've yet to finish it. My pc has been sitting a bit idle since I got the PS3.

You could have gotten the game of the year edition which had both DA:O and Awakening. But ya, if you are set on getting all of the DLC it will be a bit. But the actual expansions are real expansions, like what was done back with Neverwinter Nights and such. So there is some real meat and playtime to them. The DLC are short little tidbits.

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    The game is very good. I've yet to finish it. My pc has been sitting a bit idle since I got the PS3.

You could have gotten the game of the year edition which had both DA:O and Awakening. But ya, if you are set on getting all of the DLC it will be a bit. But the actual expansions are real expansions, like what was done back with Neverwinter Nights and such. So there is some real meat and playtime to them. The DLC are short little tidbits.
    True. That would have been slightly cheaper at $50. However my DVD-ROM Drive still doesn't work, so my only option right now is DLC. Plus, I like DLC because it's quieter and it's, I'm assuming, forever tied to my Live Account whereas if I lose the DVD I'd have to buy a new one. Although... there's no real resell value with DLC. But, I don't plan on selling my 360 any time soon, if at all. I think I'm going to mod it, actually. Maybe a relatively simple Borderlands or Dragon Age theme. If I had the skill, I'd use body filler to shape things on the case and then paint it. That would be pretty cool, if only I had the skill. or time. or money. lol /off topic

Yeah I noticed that the expansions are more like entirely new games than they are expansions. They could almost call the expansions Dragon Age 2.

I got DA:Origins just before XMas and actually the case is sat next to me as I write but it's actually seen relatively little cost. Back in the day when everybody was talking about it but nobody owned it I had it pegged as a dungeon quest kind of game and afterr talking to people who bought it new I continued to feel the same way about it.

Anyway I eventually caved and bought it at a bargain price on Ebay (where else?!) for the pc. I loaded it up and got myself a dwarf to play with and while I was entertained it's never really done it for me. I'll point out that I only played it for a few days so I haven't given it much of a chance yet and certainly wouldn't write it off but...

I don't know what it is. I think the whole controlling a squad rather than controlling one character with companions puts me off slightly as I'd much rather not spend hours of gametime rearranging items and deciding who to leave at camp and who to bring along. The biggest fault with the game is the fact that I already have 6 or 7 companions yet I can only travel with 4 of them at any one time... If I was in a world full of big scary monsters and was actively questing to kill said scary monsters I'd travel in the biggest pack I could put together! I mean where are the others who don't travel with you? They're following us for sure as when we arrive and set up a new camp they'll be there again. So why exactly don't they follow a bit closer and help kill the bad-guys we meet?

Like I said, I don't dislike the game so I'm not about to launch into a rant but it certainly hasn't captured me the way it has most players. Maybe it's just me, maybe it's the squad-based control system, maybe I just need to give it more time. Who knows, but for now it's not getting played so it'll be some time before I reassess it!

Quote Originally Posted by Munty View Post

I don't know what it is. I think the whole controlling a squad rather than controlling one character with companions puts me off slightly as I'd much rather not spend hours of gametime rearranging items and deciding who to leave at camp and who to bring along.
    That's exactly how I play and I'm almost 20% through the game. I don't control the party, I control my character and pretty much just let the other party characters run around and do what I would have them do anyways. There are also sort of presets that you can manage if they aren't doing what you want. Just mess around with those and they'll do more what you want. Although, I've never had to do that. They're pretty smart I guess. lol

But if you're not a patient person, then this game is definitely not for you, as there is a LOT of reading and actively taking part in conversations, as choosing what to say can drastically change the outcome of things. Personally, I LOVE that kind of thing.

If you want all action, all grinding, one bad guy to the next, then I wouldn't suggest this game. If you want a game that is more like a book that you get to play out and somewhat write yourself along the way, then I definitely recommend this game.

Check out the credits on that game too!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    If you want all action, all grinding, one bad guy to the next, then I wouldn't suggest this game. If you want a game that is more like a book that you get to play out and somewhat write yourself along the way, then I definitely recommend this game.
    That's certainly not the issue for me. I think so far in fact there's been a total lack of an immersive storyline to keep me interested. Ok so there's a growing number of nasty monsters back to take over the world led by some big dragon demon things. Fine I get it, but what else? I'm playing a dwarf who's just been booted out of the tunnels because my bastard little brother framed me and honestly if I had the choice I'd be FAR more interested in going back down there to kill that dick than run around up here with the Grey Wardens catering to possessed children and such.

I'm also incredibly confused by the 'world map' and aspects of travel in this game. I love the open-ended worlds of the Elder Scrolls games and I'm CERTAIN that this game should be the same but it seems more like each area is a seperate 'feature' of the landscape and you simply use a funny looking map-book thingy to actually travel between locations. For me, Morrowind is possibly the best RPG ever, but if you removed from it everything except the towns, cities and major locations. Well I think I'd probably change my mind about it...

Again, I've not played anywhere near enough of the game to criticise it, I'm just saying I never felt that pull of addiction that most people I know seem to have got from the first few hours of gameplay. For me it's just another decent RPG following the same formula as almost every other RPG out there...

Like any good book, there is a main storyline with many mini-storylines within and throughout. You just have to play enough. As you venture forth on your "main quest", many other bits and pieces start coming together or forming from new companions, acquaintances, etc.

I've been playing for probably about a total of 15 hours now, combined that is, and I can't imagine it getting any more immersive than it already is. It's a giant game filled with a lot of story. There's hardly any fighting, really. TES is more fighting and exploring and dungeon crawling that storyline, this is pretty much the opposite.

Not all of the last post was directed at you, by the way. It was sort of a message to everyone who chances across it. ^_^

This game would have definitely been better if it were more like TES, although it would have also taken a crazy long time to produce, just like TES. But I can't think of a game better than this one that isn't TES. And in comparison... sure, it's no where near as good. The comparison would be like WoW and Warcraft.

This game kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy and TES combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    This game kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy and TES combined.
    Sounds like a perfect analysis to me, I think you're totally right! I do recall in a preview of Origins that one guy had spent 40 hours playing and apparently still had lots to do so I know it's content rich but I guess I'm wired differently

Honestly I almost feel bad for not having got into it as immediately as I was expecting, I may well boot it up again and play a little more as I remember I didn't stop because I hated it, just because it was time for bed lol And I just don't like it enough to have turned it on again since I think. That and my numerous crazy projects have been keeping me more than busy lately.

But who knows I may give it another whack at some point as I know I'm at least intrigued by the stage of the story that I'm currently at so I would like to find out what's next!