Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Best Company for PSU's?

Fresh Paint

Default Re: The Best Company for PSU's?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    You know, it's nice to see you here. Wandered over from Guru, I see...

Well, good deal. It'll be nice to have you here as well!
    Yeah, I figured I'd check out the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Undead View Post
    ...rail balancing issues and what-not. All of that is done automatically....
    That I did not know. Thank you sir.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Blibbax View Post
    That I did not know. Thank you sir.
    People often get confused around those parts. The only "true" Multiple-rail unit that's still around is the Corsair HX1000. That Powersupply has two 500w's in one housing. As for all the rest of the Single/Multi rail's, they're 99% identical.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    I know I'm unusual in this, but I steer clear of Thermaltake's PSUs. After having two of their high-end models (680W Pure Power, RMA replaced with a 700W Toughpower), and both losing 12V rails fairly quickly (the MBB 12V aux rail initially and eventually all the 12V rails on the 680, and the PCIe 12V rails on the 700), I don't trust them anymore. I bought the 680 in October 2005, it died sometime in March 2007, got the brand new 700 as an RMA replacement, and it started having issues in, iirc, late 2007, outside of the warranty. Maybe I got bad apples, maybe they've improved, but I'm not willing to bet my money on that.
    Thermaltake are a mix of bad/very bad and good/very good. The original Toughpowers are CWT PSH, same as the Corsair TX750... which were decent. The newer Toughpower XT's mostly use CWT DSG which is very good. The HX750, HX850, and TX950 are all quite similar to the CWT DSG platforms and they're amongst one of the best PSU's in their wattage range. Some of Thermaltakes TR2 units are just so-so, and some are just plain trash... Same goes for their Litepower/Purepower units. As for the TT Grand units, they're further improved CWT DSG's.

Review of the XT 775w: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...w_psu_review/9

Review of the TT Grand 750w: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...power_supply/9

In short, it really depends on what TT PSU you pick. They range from complete turd, to really good.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Undead View Post
    Thermaltake are a mix of bad/very bad and good/very good.
    This seems to be a common trend with Thermaltake across their entire product line (ie, with stuff other than PSUs as well)...one of the reasons I just steer clear of them whenever I can.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV