Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Best Company for PSU's?

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default The Best Company for PSU's?

I hear it alot. PC Power and Cooling is the BEST. What are your thoughts?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Default Re: The Best Company for PSU's?

After OCZ bought them, they went downhill fast. As I understand, Enermax is the new king of the hill.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

I've been prone to use OCZ lately. Not for any particular reason really except that I've been able to find good prices when I needed to buy. Helps that they bought PC P&C. The 1kW OCZ I reviewed a while back is still going strong after a year that included a large number of power hungry updates.
    I've heard similar things though about Enermax though I don't have any personal experience with them.
    TheMainMan

I would go for Seasonic. They have high quality power supplies but are also known for being exceptionally quiet.

I'm in love with Corsair these days.

They haven't been around as long as some of these other well known and trusted brands, but they have been making excellent high-quality power supplies right from the start.

They have won a few rewards for their power supplies, too. The user reviews are almost all perfect and the professional ones never seem to have anything seriously bad to say about them. I think that kind of speaks for itself.

They may be relatively new to the game, but I would trust any one of their power supplies in my rig without a second thought.
    Last edited by Lothair; 02-08-2011 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Hmm. I couldn't find where I read that. Perhaps in my head? lol :p

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    I would go for Seasonic. They have high quality power supplies but are also known for being exceptionally quiet.
    +1 on this. The old PC Power and cooling units that were so exceptional were OEM'd by Seasonic as well. The new PC Power and Cooling is overpriced ass, basicaly OCZ bought the brand to turn a quick buck using the great rep they built over the years.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Ultra is a good one, can't beat their lifetime warranty

Tt also makes some beastily PSU's as well

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

Ditto what Lothair said. Corsair is my go-to brand of power supply, with Antec being a close second. Never had a problem with either brand. I have a Corsair TX650W in my gaming rig, an Antec 520W running in my parents' computer, and an Antec 450W I use for testing older rigs. I've never used either PC P&C or Enermax, so I can't give any advice about them.
    Last edited by DynamoNED; 02-08-2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: I derp'd.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    After OCZ bought them, they went downhill fast.
    Unfortunately, yeah, I've noticed that too. Rather like when Seagate bought Maxtor, but in reverse...

I used to be a die-hard PCP&C supporter (and Seagate, but that's another story ), but because of what happened when OCZ bought them I can't really recommend them anymore. At least not over other brands. I haven't really heard anything about Enermax until recently, so can't comment on that, but you can't go wrong with Corsair. If you're on a budget, Seasonic and Antec have you covered. I also had a really good experience with Kingwin, back when I got a 350W from them back in ...2003? 2004? Anyway, it was a rock-solid PSU, and the only reason I don't have it anymore is because it disappeared around the time I left college...no clue where it is, but I know I don't have it.

I know I'm unusual in this, but I steer clear of Thermaltake's PSUs. After having two of their high-end models (680W Pure Power, RMA replaced with a 700W Toughpower), and both losing 12V rails fairly quickly (the MBB 12V aux rail initially and eventually all the 12V rails on the 680, and the PCIe 12V rails on the 700), I don't trust them anymore. I bought the 680 in October 2005, it died sometime in March 2007, got the brand new 700 as an RMA replacement, and it started having issues in, iirc, late 2007, outside of the warranty. Maybe I got bad apples, maybe they've improved, but I'm not willing to bet my money on that.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus Technochicken's Avatar

Seasonics are great, but a lot of other companies use their internals for their power supplies. These include Corsair(most), XFX(all), Antec(most), and others. PC Power and Coolings used to be as well, before OCZ bought them.