Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about changing PC cases

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Question about changing PC cases

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    lol - there's an echo in here - I coulda swore I already said all of that *grin*
    Just confirming for him. If 5 random people on the internet tell you something, you'll be more confident that they're right instead of just one.

As for which case, are there any specific characteristics you're looking for? Size? Price-range? If you have a Microcenter or similar store near you, that has cases on display, I would recommend going and looking at them. I find it's a lot easier to decide if I like a certain feature if I can see it in person.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Just confirming for him. If 5 random people on the internet tell you something, you'll be more confident that they're right instead of just one.

As for which case, are there any specific characteristics you're looking for? Size? Price-range? If you have a Microcenter or similar store near you, that has cases on display, I would recommend going and looking at them. I find it's a lot easier to decide if I like a certain feature if I can see it in person.
    Unfortunately the only place in town here that carried cases just went out of business. Small town I live in, place used to be crawling with computer shops and they did great business, but since we got the big box stores like Future Shop and Best Buy in town the small shops have become extinct. It's easy to find lots of people that know computers and do work on them, but when it comes to unique parts it's everyman for themself.

Also, figured being in Canada was gonna make it worse but I was tipped off to a really good online dealer that has a pretty good selection.

I'm not really sure what I want yet. I don't wanna spend TOO much money, like, hundreds and hundreds of dollars like some Pimp My PC deal (if I could, I would...) Black, sleak, lots of ventilation. I'm not very picky.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowV View Post
    Also, figured being in Canada was gonna make it worse but I was tipped off to a really good online dealer that has a pretty good selection.
    There's actually a lot of quality Canadian online retailers (plus plenty that deliver to Canada). I don't remember them all off the top of my head, but Newegg has a canadian branch and I think Sidewinder might be Canadian...I think Performance-PCs might be too...not sure about that though..

How much is "too much"? $100? $50? A quality case can run you everywhere from $40 to $400+ depending on what you want. For the moment, I'll assume under $100.

Let's see, black, sleek, and cheap...hmm. There's the Cooler Master HAF 912 or CM690II, the Antec 300 or 600, or the NZXT Gamma, Guardian 921, or Tempest Evo.

Any of those in the right direction?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Fresh Paint

There's actually a lot of quality Canadian online retailers (plus plenty that deliver to Canada). I don't remember them all off the top of my head, but Newegg has a canadian branch and I think Sidewinder might be Canadian...I think Performance-PCs might be too...not sure about that though..

How much is "too much"? $100? $50? A quality case can run you everywhere from $40 to $400+ depending on what you want. For the moment, I'll assume under $100.

Let's see, black, sleek, and cheap...hmm. There's the Cooler Master HAF 912 or CM690II, the Antec 300 or 600, or the NZXT Gamma, Guardian 921, or Tempest Evo.

Any of those in the right direction?
    I was just checking out some of Cooler Master's cases, actually. Very nice looking products. I was looking at the NZXT Guardian case earlier, and I REALLY like it. I'll have a browse around Newegg though, didn't know they had a Canadian branch so thanks for that.

You've been so crazy helpful, seriously. I was stressing out about this so bad, and being told "eh just buy a new computer" was making me crazy. I'm weird like that I guess, loyal to my gadgets.

EDIT: Digging around a bit I found an I/O shield that's the exact match to the components my system has for $5. Wohoo!

Dude, the pictures on newegg of the 912 suck! Check out the review I did on it. I think it would be a great case for what you want.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/?...Master+HAF+912

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

In general, I agree, but when the one is the mighty slaveofconvention.....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Anodized

Another good one to look into if you are looking for a nice small case on the cheap is the Coolermaster Centurions. Very nice bang for the buck case in the sub $40 range that isnt covered in plastic and cheap looking.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Maybe this?

Definitely mod-worthy, but not bad in of itself.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I love cooler master for the simple builds. This has been my go to case of theirs in the past. Only $50 with free shipping (not sure about shipping to Canada) Looks good, simple, sleek, and plenty of airflow.

Kindof funny that it is the elite 335 with 335 reviews. Also on newegg they show a led fan in the front and the ones I ordered just had a regular fan.
    Last edited by DrkSide; 02-04-2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: pic no worky

Apparently I have odd product preferences, because it looks like Cooler Master has discontinued my case (CM590)...and don't make a similar one.. Oh well, the nice thing about a good case is that it lasts forever...if you want it to, that is.
    --Benjamin Franklin