Thread: Is 5052 aluminum right?

Default Is 5052 aluminum right?

thinking of starting mocking up my first scratch build case. What kind of aluminum should i use? i was thinking 1mm (.04in) but I don't know what grade i want, 5052 sounds right ish? but i don't really know
    Not dead yet

Anodized

Default Re: Is 5052 aluminum right?

Depends on what your specific plans are. You could proboly get away with a 3003 unless you are planning on an anodized finish in which case you could go 5005 or 5052. The only real drawback on the 5052 is its not particualarly ductile and can crack on bends if your not careful.

I would guess that Lian Li uses something similar to 5052 due to the microfracturing you see in their bends if you look closely. As long as as you are not having to redo bends 5052 should do pretty decent in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
    Depends on what your specific plans are. You could proboly get away with a 3003 unless you are planning on an anodized finish in which case you could go 5005 or 5052. The only real drawback on the 5052 is its not particualarly ductile and can crack on bends if your not careful.

I would guess that Lian Li uses something similar to 5052 due to the microfracturing you see in their bends if you look closely. As long as as you are not having to redo bends 5052 should do pretty decent in most cases.
    ill post pics of my design when i get further along. To be revived.
    Not dead yet

Little late, but I agree with Goat. 3003 is a good choice. 6061 is also a good choice, and has better all around workability. Most anodizers are also very good at matching parts that are 6061.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    Little late, but I agree with Goat. 3003 is a good choice. 6061 is also a good choice, and has better all around workability. Most anodizers are also very good at matching parts that are 6061.
    I agree with the 6061, at the shop I used to work at we used 6061 for everything, I love the way it welds and the way you can work with it. Id stay away from the 7xxx though.
    Current Rig- Dell Dimension 2400 - 2.2hz Celeron, 256kb DDR - Current rig until new on is built

Rig in Progress- MSI G31TM-P21, 3.6ghz P4, 8gb ram, 160GB Seagate Barracuda, Nvidia GeForce 8500GT

aaack.... i really have to get my cardboard mock up made.... sorry guys!! Theres a big lan party on the 26th here and everyone wants new computers/upgrades. I'm running around like a headless chicken... And I haven't touched my own rig yet...
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by chevyboy_0 View Post
    I agree with the 6061, at the shop I used to work at we used 6061 for everything, I love the way it welds and the way you can work with it. Id stay away from the 7xxx though.
    7-series aluminum is serious stuff. More of a mild steel replacement then anything. If I need something I can work with that is stronger then 6061, I just go right for 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    aaack.... i really have to get my cardboard mock up made.... sorry guys!! Theres a big lan party on the 26th here and everyone wants new computers/upgrades. I'm running around like a headless chicken... And I haven't touched my own rig yet...
    Genius takes time.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10