Thread: CD Drive Not Working Correctly

Default CD Drive Not Working Correctly

I'm having a little trouble with my Disk Drive. It wont show up in "My Computer" I've tried two different drives from different MFG's and am still having the same problem.

When i open the Device Management window i can see that the computer knows there is a drive plugged in. It has a very tiny yellow triangle with an exclamation mark on the icon. When i click on Properties the status says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (Code 39)." Now when i try to check for a solution or try to update the drivers for it, it says i have the most up to date drivers and closes. Its a Sony DVD RW DRU-800A ATA Drive if that helps at all. I've thought about updating the firmware but i dont know/think it will work since its not being detected right. I'm also sketchy about updateing firmwares, if it goes wrong its screwed.

I cant remember exactly when this started happening but it worked after i installed Vista64. Its visible in BIOS and i can boot from it. Could it have gotten screwed from an update or service pack install?

Thanks
    -Jaims
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Re: CD Drive Not Working Correctly

Have you done the usual obvious tests? Replace data cable, connect to different motherboard port, unplug everything and plug it back in to reseat connections, checked Master/Slave settings (if IDE) etc?

It seems odd that it can be booted from but not accessed under windows though. Try starting in safe mode and see if you can access it that way, or safe mode with command prompt and again, see if you have any luck.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey