Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fan issue

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Fan issue

Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    Gotta love making things work for you in a way that they weren't intended to do! That's what modding is all about, really. lol
    Yeah I agree, especially because I'm building inside an N64 ^^

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Wow. You're the third I know that is doing an N64 build.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Fresh Paint

Ok bad news guys. Finally got my fan in the mail today (it's a 30mm 12v), plugged it in and booted up the Mobo. While the fan did start spinning, I got the same error message telling me there was a fan error and it shut off. I tried another fan (5v) and the exact same thing happened. What's the deal? Is there something I'm not getting?

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

If you have an 80mm or bigger fan, try plugging that in and aim it at the heatsink. It could be that (assuming the fan connector on your 30mm is 3-prong rather than 2; the 3rd prong tells the 'puter how fast the fan spins) the mobo is detecting that the fan is running slower than the BIOS's minimum fan speed setting, thus generating the error. An 80mm or bigger fan would spin fast enough for sure, so that could be an easy way to either fix the problem or rule out a possibility.
    It looks like from the mobo photo that there's only 1 fan plug, so you can't have plugged the fan in the wrong place.

If that doesn't work, honestly I'd look in to replacing the board. I know how irritating it is to think you have a system put together and then have to replace it, but I'm not sure what else could be causing the problem. You might also try resetting the CMOS by either pulling the coin-shaped battery out for a few seconds while the system is off, although I wouldn't really expect that to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    If you have an 80mm or bigger fan, try plugging that in and aim it at the heatsink.
    Arg. Alright I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

Fresh Paint

Okay! Finally got an 80mm one in the mail today and it powers up! Thanks so much everybody for helping out a noob. This thread can finally be put to rest .

Fresh Paint

Hi,

I know I am late to the party, but here is my solution.

Use a socket 7 Heatsink and fan. Then cut and bent coat hanger wire to make a spring clip to hold the HSF using the two loops on the motherboard. Use the northbridge cooler as an example to work from, but measure the distance for the processor loops as it is a larger spacing.

Sorry about the image size/quality but I think it serves the purpose.

My problem is that i can get the power switch to turn on, and the cpu & psu fans spin, but there are no beeps and there is no display.

What sort of power supply / adapter are you using and where did you get it?

Thanks,

Cyborg28