Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fan issue

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Fan issue

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    That looks pretty promising, and it made me realize I had a heatsink just like that lying around. It has a clip on it too but just barely doesn't match up to the holes on the board Think I could be able to bend that clip a bit and get it work?

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

you should be able to bend that enough to make it work. or maybe go to a hobby shop and get some of the wire they use for airplane landing gear.

Fresh Paint

On a somewhat related note, do you think this kind of heatsink would work? I looks like it has the right kind of clip...

There is no difference between 479 and 479m. Socket 479 is mobile only, so I'm not entirely sure why it's on this board to begin with...or why there are non-mobile heat sinks for this socket. This is all very confusing. I suspect they just started throwing mobile chips on itx boards because the chips were low-power and because they could.

I almost independently linked to the same pics there, SXRguyinMA. I knew I saw heatsinks clipped directly on 479 sockets before. That setup isn't as custom as it seems, he just recycled an on-hand heatsink. Bending the hooks on your wire out so they lay flat should work. Make sure to have some airflow over that heatsink though as it wasn't designed to cool that CPU, let alone do so passively. At least keep an eye on the temps at first to make sure it's working well enough. Otherwise, there are retention clips that fit on those little nubs on your socket that will allow you to attach a full size heatsink...but I'm not able to find any for 478/479. Hell, this thread comes up on the first google page when searching for them, sooo...
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Isn't the difference between the two the way the heatsink is attached to the motherboard? The only 479 heatsinks I could find were the quad push pin design, whereas this is a single retention wire with two loops on the motherboard. Perhaps I'm wrong, I'm just stating what I noticed.

The best bet is to pick up a heatsink of your choice (looks like you have one there already!) and do as what was previously mentioned, which is basically try to find some springy-ish wire that could be used. Perhaps you could even just use any wire (or maybe heavy duty string?) and pull it through the loops so it holds the heatsink down tight. Also, don't forget thermal paste! You need that in between the processor and the heatsink. Plenty of guides on how to apply it all over the internet if you just google it. Grab some Arctic Silver 5 if you can. It's about 5 or 6 dollars and is widely regarded as being the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    Isn't the difference between the two the way the heatsink is attached to the motherboard? The only 479 heatsinks I could find were the quad push pin design, whereas this is a single retention wire with two loops on the motherboard. Perhaps I'm wrong, I'm just stating what I noticed.
    Nope. There aren't two different 479 sockets. The proper name for the socket is mPGA479M. That's where the 'm' comes from. Some people keep it on, others just truncate it.
    The multitude of heatsink mounting mechanisms for 479 is ridiculous. There was no standard apparently. I've seen many with the pushpins, but most that I looked at were fastened with tensioned wire or some clasps that mount on a plastic bracket that is mounted where the pushpins would go. The method I've always seen just clamped onto the socket via those little protrusions on the side of the socket itself...but I couldn't find anything like that. EDIT: ...probably because it's an unreliable way of mounting a heatsink...

Fresh Paint

Okay thanks guys, I'm gonna go ahead with the heatsink I already have and not risk getting one that doesn't fit. When I get the fan, should I just lay it on top of the heatsink, or put it elsewhere in the housing, near an air hole perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by tomcraig View Post
    Okay thanks guys, I'm gonna go ahead with the heatsink I already have and not risk getting one that doesn't fit. When I get the fan, should I just lay it on top of the heatsink, or put it elsewhere in the housing, near an air hole perhaps?
    As long as the air flow is hitting the heatsink you should be alright.
    Make sure to apply a 'grain of rice' size blob of thermal paste to the chip before latching down the heatsink too. Everything should be good as long as the heatsink stays firmly attached to the chip. Download and install CoreTemp or HWMonitor to watch the temps for a bit to confirm everything is fine.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Make sure to apply a 'grain of rice' size blob of thermal paste to the chip before latching down the heatsink too. Everything should be good as long as the heatsink stays firmly attached to the chip. Download and install CoreTemp or HWMonitor to watch the temps for a bit to confirm everything is fine.
    Okay I'll give it a go. Thanks for the info everyone.

I bet you could probably use some paper clips to extend those wires to reach the loops. Just secure them to the heatsinks wires, then pull them tight through the loops and tie them off or what have you.

As for airflow, there doesn't need to be a whole lot. It doesn't need a fan sitting right on top of it, for example. So long as their is some kind of air moving past it and thus removing excess heat it should be fine. It'll probably get hot, but as long as it isn't like burning to the touch it should be fine I'd imagine. 140F is a fairly safe operating temperature just as an FYI.

Gotta love making things work for you in a way that they weren't intended to do! That's what modding is all about, really. lol