Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Building a comp as a graduation gift from my grand parents...

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Building a comp as a graduation gift from my grand parents...

Quote Originally Posted by MattMan
    yeah...that would be good,

my grand parents want me to send them an e-mail with the parts I want and how much they cost and from where...and sence I have never done this before I don't know what to get... all I know is I want it fast enough to be able to play at least some star wars battle fronts or something...

and I have some old cases here do you think new parts would fit into an old case?

My dad works for Alabama power and he can get old cases easy for free, and this would help me have more money to modd the case...maybe I should take some pics and post them so you can say YAY or NAY...

Thanks guys for all of the help and advice BTW... I don't feel so bad for knowing so little
    Well it really depends on how old the case is, but generally, YES YES and YES. I love old cases. I keep them from meeting miserable deaths in the dumpster at work. even though most of the ones I get are mising side panels and/or front bezels I still take them. I see the potential in them (that, and its very hard to get a decent sized plain case these days). If you can get them for free, take them. If you can't use them, screw it, toss em. No harm in checking it out. Basically as long as its a good sized ATX case, with a new PSU you oughta be good to go.

Anodized

ATX case? what is that...I know I know major newb. oh well

Overclocked

-=-=-=-=-
    When computers collide, Bob is born
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

Anodized

Thanks that helps...anything else I need to look for in a case?

Overclocked

what is it you want? Do you want a BIG case? A mini case? Desktop, mid-tower, rackmount, pedestal, cube? Once you figure that out, the rest is easy peasy.
    -=-=-=-=-
    When computers collide, Bob is born
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

Anodized

I really don't knwo what is the difference, I know of a tower and one that lays down didn't know there were more styles than that

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by MattMan
    I really don't knwo what is the difference, I know of a tower and one that lays down didn't know there were more styles than that
    Well there is tower and desktop, yes. But also, towers come in a whole lot of different sizes. Anything from very small to very tall, skinny to fat, shallow to deep. I personally recommend getting the biggest you find. Height is nice for multiple drives and just keeping everything separated and clean, depth is nice for keeping things organized, and width...well, wider is better Definately though, if you get an old case, you will want to get a new power supply. Hope that helps.