Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building a comp as a graduation gift from my grand parents...

Fresh Paint

I guess I may be a little biased, but I personally think its better to build your own system - you always seem to get screwed on something when you go premade...but I guess that could just stem from the fact that until the first computer I built when I was 14 or 15, I was stuck with stuff from the likes of Packard Bell Anyway, I think a decent system can be had for $1000 plus case and mods....all prices are at newegg unless otherwise noted...

Asus A8V Deluxe - $120 (zipzoomfly.com)
    Athlon64 3000+ boxed - $146
    1GB Corsair ValueSelect pc3200 ram - $87
    MSI GeForce 6600GT - $200
    Seagate 120gb 7200rpm SATA HD - $97
    Sony Dual Layer DVD-burner - $56
    Logitech cordless keyboard/mouse - $58 (zipzoomfly.com)
    19" samsung CRT monitor - $180 (frys electronics - don't buy a crt online)
    Windows XP Home OEM - $94
    The pride and satisfaction of building your own machine - priceless

Total - $1038

Left for your choice of case and modding supplies - $262

You figure a nice case is $150, you still have $110 left over for lights, fans, plexi, paint, etc. Now if you wanted to do a full-on complete case makeover like CrimsonSky, etc do, that might be a different story...

Honestly, I think that's a pretty good deal on a nice system. Can you get a prebuilt system for cheaper? Of course, but then you lose some of this upgradability and they always seem to skimp on at least 1 thing (that and the coolness factor of building your own system is a plus). Better deals on the parts I listed can be found, and hell, you could go with some cheaper hardware if you felt like it as well. By no means, am I saying, "This is what you should get. Do this or else." I'm simply offering an alternative suggestion to you in response to those who say you should get a premade system. Do you have to listen to me? Hell no, its your money afterall. And also, I don't know what your current financial situation is, but don't be afraid to throw a little extra of your own cash in the whole deal if you can - it never hurts

This is just my $0.02, that's all. If you don't like my advice, please give me my $0.02 back; I'm a little short on cash right now

Anodized

thanks that sounds good...my brother built his own comp and it turned out great so I think I might do that

and to the question back with the PS2..I was talking abotu putting the PS2 into my computer

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Building a comp as a graduation gift from my grand parents...

Quote Originally Posted by MattMan
    thanks that sounds good...my brother built his own comp and it turned out great so I think I might do that

and to the question back with the PS2..I was talking abotu putting the PS2 into my computer
    Gettin the PS2 into the case should be fairly simple, provided your case has ample space to position the console whichever way you want. Even wiring up some external controller ports on the case shouldn't be too much of a problem. The only thing I see would be the PS2's output signal. I know they have an adapter to use a computer monitor with it in that Linux kit that they put out, or used to - I'm not into PS2 at all so I don't know - but I don't know if that works for games too or what. Would be interesting to look at. And then you'd have to rig up a switch for your monitor to go between the PS2 and computer - most likely easy to use a kvm switch for that, but IMO hardly worth it.

But hey, if you really want a PS2 in your case and think you can pull it off, I say go for it. Sometimes people do things that really aren't worth it but are way cool anyway

Anodized

Interesting...
    You might want to look into a decent laptop honestly.

If you've already got a nice main rig, a thin and light laptop like the Asus featherweight might be a good choice...

Just a suggestion.

Anodized

I don't have a main computer to take with me I am using my brother's laptop he got for his graduation present a couple years ago....so I really need a main rig...either I can get the laptop and build amain rig myself or I can get my grandparents to pay for the main rig...

Overclocked

Siege has a real good point.

I would add to that by saying that you could sacrifice on one component to have another component that's better. (i.e., smaller hard drive or less ram for a better vid card.)

You can always upgrade later.
    -=-=-=-=-
    When computers collide, Bob is born
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

Overclocked

It would be pretty sweet if you pull off the PS2 thing and make it look awesomely cool in the process. If you decide to build a pc make sure you start a worklog so everyone can see your progress.

Anodized

I will try too...I have a few ideas for soem cool modsbut I think they are to advanced for me to start on but I would liek to try if you would help me along the way

Anodized

BTW I love your comp idea Rachel

Overclocked

Aww... thank you. I can help. Everyone here can help too. I have recieved alot of help from the people on these forums so far. They give me too many good ideas. Nothing can be too advanced if you work hard at it.