Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building a comp as a graduation gift from my grand parents...

Anodized

Default Building a comp as a graduation gift from my grand parents...

Hi,

I am a graduating senior and I am getting a computer from my grand parents as a graduatuation gift. I was want to build it from scratch myself. I saw this website in an issue of computer magazine. I want this system to not only perform great but look perfect as well. to match my personallity.
    I would like some help on best priced omponents, and help finding some well priced computer case mods and such. I have 1300 to spend on the whole get up. so any infor would be greatly appreciated. and if you suggest a home made custom Modded computer case I would also need to know what equipment I would need... and upgrade ability of parts would be nice....Thanks alot.

Overclocked

Well, with a budget of $1300, you can buy a pre-built system, no problem. I would recommend you do that; spend the whole load on the computer, minus mods. After that, add your mods as time and money permits.

Word of advice, if you want to completely mod the box, it might be better for you to find a plain jane ATX case and build from there. The pre-modded cases are fine, but very impersonal. If you want to mod it to your tastes and personality, it's usually better to start off with a clean canvas, so to speak.

As for modding the case, first you should determine how it would mimic your personality. Are you dark and brooding? Mysterious? Bubbly and friendly? Once you figure that out, it will be easy to choose paint colours, lights, window shapes, etc.

If you are looking to do it all yourself, kudos. There are only two pieces of advice I can really give.

1. Always wear your safety goggles, for cutting, painting, soldering and any other mod related activity. It;s better to look like a nerd while you are modding, than to look like a blinded freak your whole life.

2. Take your time. It;s not a race. It's not a competition. Keeping that in mind, it's easier to produce quality work. If you rush, most likely you'll screw up. That isn't a slag on you. It's just the way it is. For example, my most recent project, I am building an acrylic front piece, and the first attempt went great until the final cut. I rushed it, and the acrylic snapped in two. Now, just imagine if it's your side panel and you cut too far, or miscalculate, or mismeasure. Oops to the panel. Now you'll have to pay for a replacement, so take your time and enjoy it.

Remember that if you have limited experience with power tools, point number 2 will also allow you to become familiar with your tools. Don't be afraid to try new things, but try them out on scrap first.

I hope this helps.
    -=-=-=-=-
    When computers collide, Bob is born
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

ATX Mental Case

Good advice fishies, I agree with the idea to by a new computer and mod it yourself, but it is not neccassarily your personality that determines your mod. sometimes people do mods that do not reflect their personlities at all. But it should definitely have a theme. And by the way, can a mod move this to the new "Rookie Nook"?
    There is no other choice.

Anodized

thanks for the advice how do you move it?

Water Cooled

you dont mods can move the thread
    "can a MOD move this to the new "Rookie Nook"?"

Anodized

oh ok....oh and my brother said you can like mod PS2's into a competer system as well...I think that would be cool any advice on doing that with out screwing up my PS2?

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by MattMan
    oh ok....oh and my brother said you can like mod PS2's into a competer system as well...I think that would be cool any advice on doing that with out screwing up my PS2?
    My advice to you is not to mod it,

Good advice fishies, I agree with the idea to by a new computer and mod it yourself, but it is not neccassarily your personality that determines your mod.
    Agreed, but he did say he wanted it to reflect his personality, no?

I just figure, when a new member asks for specifics, we should give them what they ask for.
    -=-=-=-=-
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

The SlackMeister

what do you mean by modding PS2 into a computer? like putting a computer into PS2 case? or use PS2 as a computer? for your computer, do you need mouse/keyboard, monitor, OS, speakers, etc..?

ATX Mental Case

Oh ya, sorry I missed that.
    There is no other choice.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by jonopaul01
    Oh ya, sorry I missed that.
    no worries
    -=-=-=-=-