Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building a comp as a graduation gift from my grand parents...

Anodized

Default Re: Building a comp as a graduation gift from my grand parents...

thanks...well posted a forum on Q & A sectin check it out please and make any comments you would like thank you

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    Aww... thank you. I can help. Everyone here can help too. I have recieved alot of help from the people on these forums so far. They give me too many good ideas. Nothing can be too advanced if you work hard at it.

Not true. Have you ever tried to build a particle accelerator? Not an easy feat. I'm still trying to teach the particles to drive standard.
    -=-=-=-=-
    When computers collide, Bob is born
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

Overclocked

Nice.

Overclocked

All kidding aside, just get the computer. Get what you want, and then think about modding it. It's easier to mod a machine when you know what the components are and how they fit.
    -=-=-=-=-
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

Anodized

ok sounds good to me thanks..I probably wont get my parts until May. Though maybe I can talk them into letting me order it and start working on it now sence I am building it myself instead of buy it pre-built.

Overclocked

Make sure that when you construct your case/ pick out your parts that everything will fit nicely in the case. Also make sure all your parts are compatable. One thing to keep in mind is wire management. If I could do one thing differently on the first computer I ever built, then I would have done something about all the wires. Paul had me make cardboard models of all the components I was using in Project AVP. It really does help because you can tell where to put everything and how big your case needs to be before you get all your parts. I'm still waiting on some of my parts. If I didn't make the models then I wouldn't know how big my case needed to be. And then I wouldn't be cutting it out tonight. If you do decide to make models keep in consideration the thickness of the cardboard you use.

Anodized

ok thanks for the advice. to bad I have to wait another month.

Overclocked

That isn't too bad. It gives you time to think on it. You could start buying your mdding supplies (a fan here, sleeving, paint, some LEDs there, whatever)

At least you aren't in my situation....

My main machine died, and I decided to build a new one, complete with modded case. I knew if I bought it all at once, I'd never mod it. I'd be using it too much.

Now, I'm sitting on 1/3 of my case 'built.' I ran into a snag with exhaust, and had to rethink a good part of my case. It requires me to build an extra frame on top of the one panel, and build the machine up. It'll lk good, but my 4U rackmount has now become an enormous almost 8U box. I don't even know where I'll put it now.
    -=-=-=-=-

Anodized

yeah...that would be good,

my grand parents want me to send them an e-mail with the parts I want and how much they cost and from where...and sence I have never done this before I don't know what to get... all I know is I want it fast enough to be able to play at least some star wars battle fronts or something...

and I have some old cases here do you think new parts would fit into an old case?

My dad works for Alabama power and he can get old cases easy for free, and this would help me have more money to modd the case...maybe I should take some pics and post them so you can say YAY or NAY...

Thanks guys for all of the help and advice BTW... I don't feel so bad for knowing so little

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by fishies
    That isn't too bad. It gives you time to think on it. You could start buying your mdding supplies (a fan here, sleeving, paint, some LEDs there, whatever)

At least you aren't in my situation....

My main machine died, and I decided to build a new one, complete with modded case. I knew if I bought it all at once, I'd never mod it. I'd be using it too much.

Now, I'm sitting on 1/3 of my case 'built.' I ran into a snag with exhaust, and had to rethink a good part of my case. It requires me to build an extra frame on top of the one panel, and build the machine up. It'll lk good, but my 4U rackmount has now become an enormous almost 8U box. I don't even know where I'll put it now.
    I've got a similar situation fishies. My main machine died too and I decided to build a nice sweet new rig for the first time in a few years. I decided to buy it all at once though, since I just couldn't stand that stupid dual p2/450 machine I was forced to work on in a couple weeks I should *hopefully* be able to purchase my watercooling equipment which will make me mod the case instead of play doom3 all night We'll see how that one turns out....(all the pretty 3d graphics have my attention right now...went from a geforce4mx on an athlon 1.2ghz to a gf6800gt on an a64 3500+ )

MattMan, time to plan is always good. As you think of ideas for what you want your case and computer to be, you'll most surely change your mind more than a few times. Definately draw, make cardboard models, use 3d software if you have it available...the more of that type of thing you do, you will make sure your project is doable. There's nothing worse than getting into a project and finding that there is no way it will work the way you wanted it to.