Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Sheet Music Computer for my Piano

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

Default Re: Sheet Music Computer for my Piano

This one’s darned close to being done now! Here’s some promised pics – computer is now working perfectly, and there’s some room for upgrading. For instance, while the image quality is acceptable (1920x1080 on an onboard VGA connection) I’d like to put a half-height PCI vid card with DVI in there at some point. That’ll require a better mATX PSU, which in turn will allow me to put the P4 3.2GHz processor back in there. All that being said, the Celeron boots up in about 40 seconds or so, pretty fast for a “slow” IDE system. Of course, there’s not a whole lot on there.

My rather…discombobulated setup. That blue screen was as far as it got loading Windows initially. Eventually I got it to boot but it couldn’t detect the USB ports, so no keyboard/mouse. After many failed attempts I did what I’d hoped to avoid – reinstalling Windows instead of using the copy that was already on the drive.

Ugh! This gray goop was responsible for nearly 90 degree C temps on the CPU!! And that was the Celeron!

Oh look, a copper core heatsink. This was entirely invisible before I scraped off the gray thermal crud.

Application of Arctic Silver. Funny how it appears much rougher in one photo than the other. I honestly don’t recall which processor this is, but the Celeron now runs at 40-ish C and the P4, before I gave up on it due to the PSU being too low wattage, ran around 49 C.

Lastly, this is what it looks like now. I’ve gotten everything installed and set up on it, so now all I need to complete it are the PC3200 RAM chips I picked up on ebay last night. The chips currently in this computer will need to go back into my fiancee’s machine now that I’ve got this one all set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

Very cool mod you've put together here. Just goes to show you that you never know what those old components may be good for. Wishing you the best as you finish it up!
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.

Thanks! I'm expecting the RAM in the next couple days, and once they're in I can re-mount the hard drive, which will block the RAM slots. The VGA cable will be entirely contained in the case, and I might be able to do the same with the monitor power cable. Depends on if shunting it through the case shortens it too much, so I'll just have to try it and see. But ya, definitely a good use of old parts.
    Incidentally, that silver thing in the last photo above is my 500GB external drive; I'd hooked it up to get some programs installed, but it's not part of the system.

Someday, I want to change it to a mini ITX system with one of those pico PSU's and a 2.5" SSD. I would probably either keep it in the same case and it'd be a lot lighter weight, or I'd build a new super tiny case and mount it to the back of the screen, and go back to using the original monitor stand.

It's officially done

Got the 1GB PC3200 RAM chips yesterday, installed them, stuck the HD back in the case, sorted out the mess of wires inside, and got nearly everything plugged in. I say nearly everything because it occurred to me I need to have an accessible USB port, so I'm going to pick up a USB extension cable and add it to the one remaining USB port inside. That way I can have the cable coming around the side of the case to plug my flash drive into so I can get files on and off the computer.

This angle shows the two USB foot pedals on the floor. One for page down, and one for page up. They work perfectly!

I also opened up Soundforge and did a test recording; that too works perfectly.

So there you have it. This version of the build is done, and someday when I either A) have the cash, or B) prices have come way down, I want to upgrade the machine to a mini ITX or pico ITX m/b with a DVI connector, a 2.5" HD or SSD, and a pico PSU where the whole PSU plugs straight into the 20-pin or 24-pin connector on the m/b. I'd probably dispose of most of the case, instead bolting those components to the panel that the screen is attached to, maybe building a small box around them, and putting the original monitor stand back on.

This one can go to completed worklogs whenever someone has the chance to move it, thanks!

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Great job David! It's functional, compact, the viewing angle perfect for reading sheet music... I'm sure it will make your life a whole lot easier when picking out a specific piece of music from that gargantuan collection of yours.

Just remember to disable the screen saver when playing!
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddaker View Post
    Great job David! It's functional, compact, the viewing angle perfect for reading sheet music... I'm sure it will make your life a whole lot easier when picking out a specific piece of music from that gargantuan collection of yours.

Just remember to disable the screen saver when playing!
    Thanks!! And thanks for the tip about the screen saver LOL, hadn't thought of that yet. What's really nice too is the case is shallow enough that I can scoot it back a little, and still use the monitor as a music stand.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Looks good, I'm glad it worked out like you were hoping.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Very nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

Wow man that came out great! Nice work!
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

In that last photo it took me a sec to see the computer, I thought you had put a book in front of the screen! It looks completely at home there and seems to be quite functional. Great work!
    TheMainMan