Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Sheet Music Computer for my Piano

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

Default Re: Sheet Music Computer for my Piano

I see my line has been replaced as the sig-quote of choice...
    Looks like it coming along nicely man
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Hardware View Post
    I see my line has been replaced as the sig-quote of choice...
    Looks like it coming along nicely man
    Thanks! Part of the reason I replaced it is, while I didn't notice til after I'd sigquoted you, AmEv had also sigquoted it just prior to me so I figured there's still someone on the forum who's using yours

And yeah, I'm pretty happy with the case design, except for one thing that occurred to me last night. I should have made the *back* panel the one that opens up, and had it folding down to lay flat. That way I could get to the motherboard unimpeded by the PSU or anything else, and the panel holding the screen would have been fully screwed onto the rest of the case. It should still work fine the way it is; because of how I cut the panels if I wanted the back one to fold down and still maintain structural integrity, I'd have to make almost everything again...and it's not really worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

I seem to take out all the fun, don't I?

Looks good tho.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I seem to take out all the fun, don't I?

Looks good tho.
    LOL nah, not at all

In a bit of good news, the new mobo will be here today apparently! Man I love living within a couple hundred miles of where I'm ordering stuff - I pay for ground shipping and I get it overnight!

I'll have more pics tomorrow probably, but here's where it's at: got the new motherboard and Celeron D320 CPU, both seem to be working fine. The PC2100 RAM doesn't work, but I think it's because the FSB is set at 533MHz so it needs at least PC2700 in there. However, the PC3200 in my fiancee's computer works perfectly fine.
    I need to get windows installed on it, and get files copied over and all that fun stuff. And order a couple RAM chips - have my eye on an ebay auction ending shortly...

One thing I noticed when I hooked up the new mobo - the fans were suddenly spinning a LOT faster than they did on the old one. Like, full speed. My initial thought was, hmm maybe the P4 was pulling a lot more power and didn't leave enough to run everything else. But then I remembered I'd tried hooking up a 600W PSU instead of the 185W, and the higher PSU didn't work either. So who knows, but it seems the net result was the old mobo wasn't letting enough power through its connectors to do anything.

Lastly, I'm a little concerned - the new BIOS is claiming the CPU is running 88 deg. C. Since I'm going to use PC3200 RAM I'm planning on trying the P4 back in there, so one way or another I'll be redoing the thermal grease and hopefully that'll solve that minor issue...more tomorrow - the trade-off for me working on the piano computer tonight is my fiancee wants to play Dragon Age on mine

Well, I discovered, after switching processors more times than I'd like to admit, it appears the PSU doesn't put out enough power to run the P4. It runs the Celeron ok, or at least it seems to. But with 2 sticks of RAM, the motherboard, the proc, the hard drive, and 3 fans (CPU and 2 case), it's probably drawing well over 100W and the PSU can only do 185 max.
    Nevermind1534, if you read this I'm guessing that's why those HP systems had the random shutdown problem. I experienced it a few times, until I put the Celeron back in and all of a sudden it was stable.
    I'm hoping to avoid having to get a new PSU, as that'd mean the entire initial system I picked up would end up unused and/or dead

Another bit of weirdness is the wireless USB keyboard works fine in the BIOS menu system, but as soon as it boots to windows it won't work. Tried plugging in a wired USB mouse too, to no avail. So it boots into Windows, but I can't do anything. It could be a driver issue - Windows wants to validate and is not going to the actual desktop, so no real chance to properly load drivers. I can't even load it into safe mode - I can shut it off during bootup to force the safe mode menu screen the next time I boot, but the keyboard doesn't work on that screen so I can't select safe mode. I *did* enable USB Keyboard/mouse support in the BIOS, but that didn't make any difference. I'm wondering if it's the PSU at fault - not putting out quite enough juice to run the USB ports. Luckily I can test that in the morning...more later...any ideas are welcome!!

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Wait. Is USB keyboard/mouse enabled in the BIOS?

*Never mind, didn't read fully. That is strange though. Fresh install?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

perhaps - I did determine this morning the PSU has nothing to do with it, as a 600W unit still gave the same result. What *has* worked, sort of, is using an MS wireless keyboard/mouse that has a PS2 plug for the keyboard in addition to the USB. The mouse still doesn't work, but the keyboard does now. I guess the issue must be driver related - the HD already had windows on it, and I was trying to avoid the hassle of reinstalling. But in the end it may be easier to wipe it and start over, we'll see...

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Yeah, sounds like a USB controller driver issue. You could always try uninstalling the USB controller, then having it scan for new hardware and hopefully find a compatible driver.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

heh...see the real problem is it won't let me log on until it's re-validated, which means outside of safe mode I can't do diddly squat. So what I'm doing now is I've put the RAM, keyboard, and IDE drive onto my fiancee's computer since mine would be even more of a hassle to hook it up to, and I'm copying all the drivers that I've downloaded onto the hard drive. Then I'll move everything back to the little computer, load it into safe mode, and with the software there I can at least get the drivers installed. This was supposed to be an easy mod LOL....