Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting

ATX Mental Case

Default Painting

whats up guys? i am soon contructing a subwoofer box for a comp....and im using either mdf wood or particleboard.....how would i go about painting it. I am going to paint the inside black. i Don't know if i should be clear coating it....or how i should sand it...or wut....PLEASE HELP!

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

Default Re: Painting

all i have to say is dont forget the primer. any kind of porus material be it wood or drywall or anything like that will suck paint up in a hurry so it can be helpfull to prime it first. i think the clear coat should be ok on it. i think it depends on what kind of paint your useing.
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

Fresh Paint

With MDF/Particle board, you're definately going to want to primer it. Sand it smooth first, then hit it with a few coats of primer( I think you'll want latex based, not quite sure). Sand that, if there's any bare spots, go for a few more coats of primer. Sand again. Then lay down the color, wet sand it if you want a glossy finish. If it's going to get a lot of wear, you can then go for a clear coat. You should be waiting 10-15 minutes between each coat, and either bake it or wait a day between sandings.

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

that is excelent advice
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

If you want the ultra glossy look you'll need more then primer. For the super glossy look apply a thin coat of bondo over the mdf, once dry sand smooth. Then use the primer, (3-4 coats) wet sand it smooth(600-1000), Apply color (4-5 coats) Wet sand every 2 coats (1000-1500), wet sand final color coat (1500-2000). Then Clear coat (light use 3-5 coats, Hevy use 5-7 coats) Wet sand every 2 coats (2000-2000+). For really crazy smooth look wet sand the final coat then hand glaze. Remember black is one of the hardest colors to get super smooth and glossy, as it shows any imperfection or unevenness in the material below...So take extra care to prep correctly.

Crazybillybob

ATX Mental Case

this seems liek a lil too mcuh for somthing u can barely see...u will only see the box through a 10" sub hole. i was asking do u think i should add some clear?...or leave it flat?
    No genuis is a organized worker.

PROJECT "2GHz OF THUMPIN BASS" HAS BEGUN!!!! CHEAK IT OUT IN THE "PROJECT WORKLOGS" AREA.

this seems liek a lil too mcuh for somthing u can barely see...u will only see the box through a 10" sub hole
    Hardly you should aim for the best effect and quility you can get and that is the way you will get it by doing things the long way and not taking to many short cuts.

ATX Mental Case

any type of paint i shoudl get?....my dad has loads of colors...but no so much types...need help on what types to use thx.

PROJECT "2GHz OF THUMPIN BASS" HAS BEGUN!!!! CHEAK IT OUT IN THE "PROJECT WORKLOGS" AREA.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

I like the Rustolem brand . But any Rattle can should do fine, so long as the primer ,color and clear are the same type (Laquers with Laquers, Enamels with Enamels.....Then Brands don't matter!)

If it's just the inside of the box and your not going for th super shiney look. A good sanding, then A couple coats of primer followed by 3-4 coats of color and 3-4 Clear should be fine. big thing with MDF or particle board is to seal out moisture, as it will cause the wood to crumble over time.

Good luck, and post some pics too!

Crazybillybob

ATX Mental Case

well the box will be covered with carpet and its guna sit in my room so i wont have to worry too much about the miosture problem but thanx. should i sand inbetween the primer and the color, the colro and the primer...or just shoot out all the coats with no sanding?....and for sanding what grit should i use?