Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arduino controlled car led system.

Default Re: Arduino controlled car led system.

Progress on the CARduino!

I have finally got the nunchuck working. It took a lot of help from a friend that's knowledgeable in C and bits and pieces of code from about 3 different examples of how to use the nunchuck with an arduino. But we got it to work. So now the arduino returns the position of the joystick and the status of the two buttons on the nunchuck.

Next step is to convert this sketch into a library so I can include it in the menu system code and use the values of the joystick and buttons to navigate the menu.

Well this isn't dead yet!!

I put the "PRO" in procrastination, so sometimes progress takes time. And with most of the coding being done by a friend, I kinda let him work at his own pace.

But we've made progress: The LCD now reads the modes and zones with their current state. Navigation is done via nunchuck joysitck and state change (on/off) is done via the "C" button.

Next up is putting in the different patterns. Other than that the next big hurdle is going to be to get me to pull the trigger on some emergency vehicle grade led pods. After that will be some testing to see if I need to use heatsinks and/or a fan on the mosfets and working out some sort of case to mount everything into.

Another option that I may try to include is a traffic adviser or "arrow stick". That would have 6-8 pods that I could have light in sequence to the left or right to direct traffic. I think for that, I'll try to make the bar for that from scratch. Using some 3/4inch U-channel aluminum and "piranha" style leds. I might use a LPD6803 chip in each of the pods of the traffic advisor so I can string them together and just call what pod I want.

So finally got a chance to work on this some more.

Since my last update, I've added three different flash patterns.

I still haven't bought the led pods yet, and am still playing around with the idea for a traffic adviser.

I tried to talk to the LCD via I2C but the lcd and the nunchuck (also using I2C) didn't play well with each other. Soooo, I'm using SPI instead. I was also able to use some of the analog pins for this. I2C would have freed up the most amount of pins, SPI still frees up a bunch.

I think next up will be getting the RGB pixels working for the interior lighting.

Thanks for watching!