Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lookin for some boomers

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Default Re: Lookin for some boomers

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Youtube?

Theres a few but i don't see them using capacitors.

Any issues with "auto shutdown" running on the pc psu? what is your amperage rating on that?

I did that for a bit, but at peak (split second) the subs would pull 25+ amp. Under-powering them would cause the amp to shutdown for a couple seconds then kick back in and resume the beats. I ended up buying a dedicated variable voltage psu with peak amp of 30 and it seems to correct it.

2 12" L7 solobarics w/2KW amp at 2ohm. It was quite impressive though. It put most high end subwoofers to shame for the price.

You desperately need a inline Capacitor if your going to make it work flawlessly with a high power amp at sustainable volumes for any amount of time..... The larger the capacitor the more Thunder strikes the subwoofer can pull out of the capacitor before the amp drains it all and the power supply starts delivering the amperage itself and obviously the PSU your using needs to exceed the peak amperage draw of the amplifier itself in case that happens.

You also need to Use a power supply with a single +12v "rail" or line... whatever the term is, You can't use PSU's with the dual or triple or more +12v rails... Just the single rail ones (they'll provide all the amperage from a single source....and bridging those +12v lines isn't something i think you can physically do anyways?)

But the capacitor is the secret key to the whole set up working.

I need to purchase a cap for my 750w Pioneer sub lol, it cuts the headlights when it hits hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    I need to purchase a cap for my 750w Pioneer sub lol, it cuts the headlights when it hits hard.
    You can physically damage the ECU and CCU in the car from doing that... permanently.

And a ECU is about 1,400~2,900$ more then a capacitor.. so i'd probably get that cap pretty quick if you've got a thunderstorm in your trunk.

(Don't forget the terminal fuse in case **** hits the fan, you don't want your car catching fire)

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post

(Don't forget the terminal fuse in case **** hits the fan, you don't want your car catching fire)
    Trust me on that... inline fuse right at the battery = win.

No fuse = smoke, fire, rapid disassembly.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Yes.. I know a certain car company that should have followed that formula.

What about noise? I remember when I had the stereo shop, we used rather expensive power supplies for the demo boards because of the noise isolation they provided and of course the ability to deliver large amperage. Do you hear any of the 60hz bleeding through into the speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Yes.. I know a certain car company that should have followed that formula.

What about noise? I remember when I had the stereo shop, we used rather expensive power supplies for the demo boards because of the noise isolation they provided and of course the ability to deliver large amperage. Do you hear any of the 60hz bleeding through into the speakers?

You could use some Ferrite chokes? I know you use those in the headunits up front to cancel out the transmission Whine you always tend to hear on poorly insulated stereos.

But i never heard any sort of strange buzzes, whines or hissing when i had this type of set up going. (living in an apartment so dual 15's isn't quite....acceptable)

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    You can physically damage the ECU and CCU in the car from doing that... permanently.

And a ECU is about 1,400~2,900$ more then a capacitor.. so i'd probably get that cap pretty quick if you've got a thunderstorm in your trunk.

Good to know and yes, there is a fuse right after the battery... lol first thing I did when I installed my system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER