Thread: Laptop randomly shutting off.

Default Laptop randomly shutting off.

I've got an Asus 1201N netbook. My desktop died so I've been using it as my only computer. Fairly recently it's started shutting down at random. The shut down is a complete and immediate like pulling the plug on a desktop. Sometimes it will freeze for a few seconds before doing this.

Usually only happens when I'm outputting to my monitor via the HDMI port. Also usually only happens when I'm doing something like watching HD video or playing a game full-screen. It has happened doing neither, but usually after it's been on for awhile (4-6 hours uptime). Today it shut off within 5 minutes of turning it on while I was about to work on a paper.

I did upgrade the RAM in the laptop to 4gb Gskill RAM, but otherwise no modifications. Since my desktop died I've been using it a lot more and putting more strain on it, particularly the graphics. I'd build a new desktop but I can't afford to right now.

I bought it less than a year ago so it should still be under warranty. Should I call Asus or anyone have any suggestions I can try without voiding the warranty. I really can't afford not to have a computer at least as powerful as that for more than a few days, I figure it will be a few weeks to months if I have to send it in to Asus.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Suffering from Multiple OS Disorder PartyLikeARockstar's Avatar

Default Re: Laptop randomly shutting off.

I would probably send it back, just imho.
    water-cooled m-atx: (sold)
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=15368
    Diary Of a Caffeine Junkie: Powered by Rockstar (dead)
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=13786

GPU is overheating! Get some compressed air, and blast out the heat sink (make sure the fan is not able to spin when you spray it!)

My XPS M1210 did the same thing.. was fine, then I ran a 24" display @ 1080p for ONE DAY, and it killed it. Luckily, I was able to reflow the GPU, and it's useable again.

If it's out of warranty, new thermal paste might help. Try running some temperature monitoring software to confirm this, and contact Asus ASAP.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Thanks for the suggestions Luke. I'll pick up some compressed air and also give Asus a call as soon as I get a chance. What would be normal temps for a laptop GPU? Mine is specifically a nVidia Ion.
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift

Ok so I checked temperatures with HWmonitor. Boths cores of the CPU are reporting ~60C and the overall system temps are reporting at >70C. These temps are at a somewhat idle state. I think it's safe to call that overheating. For the moment I'm avoiding using the laptop, definitely calling Asus.
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift

Quote Originally Posted by chaksq View Post
    Ok so I checked temperatures with HWmonitor. Boths cores of the CPU are reporting ~60C and the overall system temps are reporting at >70C. These temps are at a somewhat idle state. I think it's safe to call that overheating. For the moment I'm avoiding using the laptop, definitely calling Asus.
    I grabbed a fan control utility (cant remember the exact name.. it's some german thing.. I8ukfan? something like that...) that runs the fan at 100% all the time, and mine now tops out around 65'C, but tends to idle around 30'C.

I have previously seen mine hit 80+, so that CANT be good for it.

Asus is pretty good about repairs on this sort of thing, make sure you can provide them documented proof (take screen shots if possible).

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

So I called Asus, got an RMA number, sent the laptop to them, and got it sent back to me. They never fixed it, it's still overheating. I actually got reported temperatures as high as 89C, stupid me forgot to take a screenshot of that though. I called back and got a new RMA number, but at this point I am very upset with the whole process. Also my only spare computer, an iMac G4, died right after the laptop got back to me.
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift