Thread: About to start on my first case mod...

Fresh Paint

Default About to start on my first case mod...

To make a long story short (yes, I'm opening with the tl;dr), I plan on modding a case. Now, I have some questions before I do anything, as this is my first time trying anything like this at all. I'm also going to include a sketch of the mod I'm going for.

(Since attaching the image didn't seem to work, the link is here: http://img156.imageshack.us/i/pcmod.png/)

1) I need a case for modifying. Does anyone know where I can find a simple, plain, easily-modified case for an inexpensive amount?

2) What kind of paint should I use? Where can I find it?

3) How hard is it to cut a circle with a dremel if you've never done it before?

4) Before I buy lights, will I need to know certain measurements, or is it a one-size-fits-all deal? How will this affect the type of power supply I'll need?

5) What kind of plexiglass should I use for a window? Where can I find it?

6) Will I need a special type of glue for gluing things on, or will regular hot glue work?

Thanks again for any advice I get.

Default Re: About to start on my first case mod...

1. Newegg.

2. Depends on the material of the case and what you want to spend. Unless you know how to airbrush, I'd just go with some rattle cans. I believe we have this kind of info in the Mod-Wiki at the top of the page? Try checking there. Lots of good info either way.

3. Hard to say. Look up some guides for help and/or look through some worklogs here in the forums. Measure twice, cut once. Cut inside your lines, then shave it down to the line. Otherwise if you screw up, then you're screwed.

4. Lighting shouldn't make a realistic difference in which PSU you decide to buy. Just make sure you have enough power for your hardware. As for dimensions, buy the case first and then you'll know. There are a variety of lighting options in all shapes and sizes.

5. I'd use 1/8th of an inch minimum. No more than 1/4th inch unless youre looking to make it bullet proof. Somewhere in-between those two numbers should suffice. I like Tap Plastics. Check their website for locations. They also deal online. You can also check most hardware stores.

6. Depends on what you're doing. Do you have any examples?

Fresh Paint

Wow, that was fast.

As far as what I'm trying to glue on, it's most likely going to be a lot of brass and other metals painted to look like brass.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazral View Post
    Wow, that was fast.
    Heheh, not around here. Lots of people aren't on as much as normal because of the holidays though.

As for your questions, my recommendations are these:

1) Second-hand stores, craigslist, freecycle, etc. Specifically, at second hand stores, ask if they have any computers that were donated that don't work. Usually they just throw them out, so they're usually happy to give them away. Where-ish are you located? I won't volunteer anyone else, but if you're near me I've got a couple old extra cases lying around you could have for free (probably not worth shipping).

2) Doesn't make a huge difference. As long as you prepare the surface properly (sand with a small grit and clean before painting), most types of paint should stick just fine. Like Lothair said, unless you're already into airbrushing, a regular rattle can will do just fine.

3) In what material? There are several ways to cut circles, and if you look around the forum you'll find a lot of them. If you're cutting a relatively thin metal and have the hole-cutting tool for your dremel, it's apparently quite easy (never actually used my hole-cutting attachment). If you're cutting a thick metal (like the 2mm steel in my first mod...*shudders*)...not so easy. Either way, and really for any cut, my recommendation is to cut slightly inside your lines, then clean it up and come right up to the lines with a hand file. It takes a while, but gives a much nicer edge.

4-5, Lothair covered well.

6) Personally I prefer screws and/or rivets, but if you must glue metals (which I'll admit, I have done ), not much beats JB Weld.

BTW, for embedding images from imageshack, if they give you an 'IMG' tag link, just toss that in. If not, the only way I could get it to work was by right-clicking and going to 'view image', then putting that URL in the IMG tags. Like so:

BTW, love the concept. I love art-deco stuff.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Fresh Paint

You guys have been ridiculously helpful. As far as my location goes, I'm in Vermont, so you'd probably have to ship something. I've got a few old cases I've considered using, but none of them seem to be plain enough for the mod I want to do, sadly.

My fear is that I'll end up spending $30-$60 on a case on a website like Newegg and then cut the thing wrong, screwing myself over entirely, which is why I'm looking to explore other avenues first.

Also, another fear I had - Living in Vermont, as I'm sure you can imagine, things get very cold and I most likely can't paint indoors. Is the cold something I should worry about with paint? According to a few friends I have, the paint may not dry properly in colder temperatures, which leads me to believe I may have to wait until later in the year.

Thanks again, like I said. You guys have been an incredible help.

Hmm, yeah, I don't think we have anyone in VT...a few in MA though. OOC, where in VT? I have a friend in Chester; beautiful countryside up there (never been, just pictures ).

You are correct on the paint. Usually on the can it'll say what the optimal temperatures are for that particular paint. Most of mine say between 50F and 90F. So...yeah, you'll either need to raise the temperature in a localised area or wait till summer.

Re the 'plainness' of a case, most older (and cheaper) cases are pretty similar once you strip down the plastic fascia. Might be worth stripping one of yours down to see if it meets your needs.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Fresh Paint

I'm in St. Albans. It's really nice up here, especially this time of year. I've been trying to think of an indoor option for painting, but ventilation can't really happen without letting all the cold in. Unfortunately.

At the moment I'm worried that if I take off all the plastic, it'll end up looking mutilated. Are most cases plain under the plastic?

Ah, yes, that's quite Vermont. IDK, you might be closer to some of our Canadian members.

I have yet to see a case that has the plastic bits permanently attached, so as long as you're careful and don't break anything you should be able to put them back on if you don't like it. And yes, the majority of cases are rather plain underneath the plastic.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Anodized

another better late than never post....

instead of gluing the metal, which i assume will go on the case, perhaps you might consider double sided tape. 3M makes some. or if you happen to pass a trophy shop on your way somewhere, they may hook you up with a few strips if you have the metal with you. it's strong stuff, but you can reasonable pry it off if you're careful without ruining your metal. if you're going to put a window behind a cut-out, i'd venture to say the overwhelming advice will be to use double-sided tape.

as far as the rest goes, i couldn't tell ya. great advice on where to get cases, though, i hadn't thought of freecycle. check out some flea markets or auctions. where i'm at, we have an used industrial store that used to just have old comps piled in bins. i have a buddy that fixes comps out of his shop, so i plan on hitting him up with project fodder and see if he can help.

i've considered foregoing complex painting at the moment and seeing if i can get a sheet of cool vinyl to use as a veneer instead. my wife has a trophy shop, so if you can picture some of the cool wrapping that go around trophy columns, that's what i'm talking about. it won't fool anyone in close inspection, but it's still pretty cool stuff anyway and give an effect that seems damn hard to pull off with paint, some of it is even reflective. i'd just have to call some of these places and see if they have any remnants they can sell me. just an idea for a quick and (hopefully) cheap sprucing up of a computer customers see all the time.

i'd seen a youtube vid on cutting circles with a dremel on a metal case and there's definitely a trick to it. it can certainly be done and, if done correctly, gives a good result.