Thread: Merry Christmas!

Default Merry Christmas!

I built a little project for Christmas.

As you can hopefully see, I tried to build Father Christmas’ hat as a PC case. Jep. A PC in the hat. I started to build it for Christmas last year, but it didn’t turn out to good so I decided to redo it.

The whole thing started out as old piece of MDF I found in the garage. I cut all of the pieces for the frame out of it with a jigsaw. Glued and nailed them all together and when it had dried I filed and sanded it all it to shape. When I was pleased with the shape and look of the Frame I painted it red.

Next up was the hat itself. The first version was made using an old cheap Father Christmas costume. That’s what it looked like as well by the time I was finished.

The best part was the on-off switch in the ball-ball. I glued a normal power-button into a squash ball so that when you squeeze it in your hand the PC will switch on and off. I then glued some fur around it and sewed it onto the hat.

When it was finished it looked like this:

But I wasn’t really happy with the result. I wanted to redo the hat because the material looked and felt very tacky. Walking through the big Swedish furniture store I saw a red blanket, that was perfekt. It is very good quality and best of all the price is unbeatable. I still needed some fury white stuff some Velcro and some of that iron-on material to make the hat a bit stiffer. Those little bits were the most expensive parts of the casemod by far.

My girlfriend and I then worked out the cuts for the hat. She then sewed it all together, because she’s really good at it and I’m a noob at sewing. The hat still needed the strip of fur at the botton. That took a while because you can only sew that on by hand so her mum helped us out. With four hands sewing speeded it all up.

Then all I had to do was redo the On/Off switch.

It wouldn’t really be something new if I didn’t upgrade the hardware so I stuffed some “new” stuff in as well. Just the PSU is crap. The old one was way better. The new one sounds like a swarm of birds chirping away with added fan clacking… Be replacing that one with a decent one as soon as possible.

Well this is what it looks like finished:

Thanks for reading, if you got this far! Hope you liked it a bit.

So long

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

:0)

Default Re: Merry Christmas!

That is really cool! Welcome to TBCS and a very Merry Christmas to you and your family!

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

Hahaha that is cool!
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

Nice build.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field