Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Healthcare

Default Healthcare

Band-Aid = $40
    Pain-Relief Medicine (low-quantity) = $30 - $70
    X-Ray = $400
    Emergency Room = $500
    Ambulance = $1200

These are just prices I've uncovered from talking to people. What have you uninsured guys and gals paid in the past for "modern" medical needs?

For my own personal experience, I ended up paying $1400 for an Emergency Room, X-Ray of my Chest and about Fifteen Minutes of Talk Time with a Doctor. I was there for about a little under an hour. I was having funny heart movements that went on for about an hour. It was caused by too much Tea and Ramen. Also known as Caffeine and Salt. Yep.

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Default Re: Healthcare

250 dollars for a taking my blood pressure and looking up the stimulants I accidentally OD'd on, ~20 dollar per minute I was there, unless there were hidden fees for how many times they asked if I was trying to kill myself.

1300 for an enima and a plastic fold up thrown for me to **** in + 2 xrays and a blood test. I asked them to be conservative because I didn't have medical and they assured me I'd be able to apply for help... turned out the "help" wouldn't allow me to sign up at the age of 19 without a parent co-signer which neither of my parents wanted anything to do with.

130 dollars for some fiber pills.

And some other stuff I'm sure but it's hard to determine what bill is for what since you go once and receive 3 separate bills.

Funny you brought this up because I have a stack about 6" high from 2008 (a bad year apparently...) of medical bills I had to break out to find out what in the hell happened and why they're on my credit as unpayed. -.-

I still don't believe in free healthcare though...
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

$40 for a bandaid? I'm sure we're missing most of the story. You got cut doing something and got a bad cut, you went to the doctor to have it looked at and got charged $40. I'm not sure how long you were there, but I can still break it down.

Doctor
    Nurses
    Medical Records
    Reception
    Medical Billing
    Malpractice Insurance
    Rent
    Electricity

I promise you it wasn't the band aid that cost you $40.

£0

NHS

Anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.walrus View Post
    £0

NHS

Anything.
    How much do you pay in taxes? Undoubtedly it's still less than what we end up paying over here in the US, but nothing is truly free.

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    $40 for a bandaid? I'm sure we're missing most of the story. You got cut doing something and got a bad cut, you went to the doctor to have it looked at and got charged $40. I'm not sure how long you were there, but I can still break it down.

Doctor
    Nurses
    Medical Records
    Reception
    Medical Billing
    Malpractice Insurance
    Rent
    Electricity

I promise you it wasn't the band aid that cost you $40.
    Have you ever been uninsured? Also, it's not a regular rite-aid band-aid we're talking about here, they're generally a bit fancier. Doesn't justify the price, but it's still very easy to believe.

Why is medicine easier to believe than a fancy band-aid? A single pill doesn't cost $10-/+ each, but that's generally what you get charged.

They break-down the costs for you in your billing btw.

im under my moms insurance still. and it turned at at the age of 17 to stay in a hospital for 3 days for a collapsed lung was like 6500.thats before insurance. now after that about 6 months later i got a bill in for going again when i was 18. and the bill was 450 for them to take some blood a quick x ray and for the doc to come in and tell me im a lier and people like me are destroying the medical industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

America doesn't have healthcare
    America has sickcare
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

Last year, I was in the hospital for 2 weeks. The total was about $46,500. That involved x-rays, an MR-V (like an MRI but for veins), Heparin IV, Coumadin, a ridiculous number of blood tests(and I do mean ridiculous - I lost count at 30-something vials on day 1). I had insurance at the time, and that was the leftover, post-Blue Cross amount. Fortunately, I also qualified for what UAB calls "Charity Care" (aka- excellent research subject, plus being poor) and didn't have to pay. Now, I have Charity Care but no regular insurance. It doesn't cover everything (includes medicine in hospital, but not regular, outpatient medicine) and has a $35 copay for office visits that are covered. Not bad, except that I have to go at least once a month for blood tests if nothing else. In one more year, I'll be able to get MediCare, if the government hasn't killed it by then.
    Did you know that while on SSI you get MediCaid but once on Disability there's a two-year gap before getting MediCare?

My three-day trip to the hospital last year was $26,500. I'm facing replacement of part of my heart, at total cost of operation, parts, recuperation and therapy of a quarter of a million dollars, if I paid. Charity care will pay, simply because I'm an excellent test subject (I'm 29 and in better shape than almost everyone with the level of progression I have.) Let me remind you that it's surgery or die, too.

Let's not get into the fight I'm having with charity care because a nasty form of strep is ruining my teeth-as in they fall out almost whole. Charity care won't help unless it's related to chemo or cancer. Bastards.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08