Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nvid 6800GT Vs. Nvid 6800Ultra

Default Nvid 6800GT Vs. Nvid 6800Ultra

If both the core clock speed is 400mhz...why is ultra bigger and more expensive?
    How did you come to trade the fiddle for the drum?

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew
    If both the core clock speed is 400mhz...why is ultra bigger and more expensive?
    The GT is 350MHz stock for the core so it must be a typo if both states 400MHz. Also the Ultra has two power connectors instead of just one (for the AGP version) as well as different RAM speed.
    www mashie org

So the Ultra is better, but not by much...right? Thanks for the post too. Trying to decide which to buy...gonna SLI it...

Water Cooled

The Ultra has gc16 (600mhz) memory with lower latencies compared to the gc20 (500mhz) ram on the GT. gc16 is faster and overclocks better. The stock speeds are also higher on the Ultra with a little more voltage i believe. The cooler on the GT is only a single slot, the Ultra is double, and as mashie said, the Ultra has 2 power connectors. If you have the money for the Ultra with the gc16 ram, go for it, but if you go SLI i really dont see any point in spending so much money on video.
    I would go for a single 6800Ultra because even that will be a lot faster than most videogames demand today. and of course if you need more, after a year or so, you get an other one for a lot cheaper. Or just wait for ATI's dual gpu setup like me

Fresh Paint

I was going to go with the GT because it was cheaper but as far as getting one now and then one later ...I read online somewhere that the cards not only had to be the same card but also had to be from the same batch? or it could cause problems, have any of you guys read anything like that? What scares me is that someone buys a card then two months later buys another and the bios in the card is different or something .or am I just retarded
    Last edited by jmtut; 04-08-2005 at 10:59 PM. Reason: i am retarded

Well, I want to get two ultras because...well...it would be cool, and I dont like to hold on to money. Also the fact that it will make my mod be that much cooler. Im not gonna buy anything for a while though. It is gonna be the end of the summer before I get anything (Yes...because I have no money and I cant exactly say, "Hey dad can I have two grand to buy more power in a computer than I ever need"...so I have to wait untill I get money from a summer job) Anyway. Yeah. We will see how it goes.

Water Cooled

Well, I want to get two ultras because...well...it would be cool
    To be cool....stupidest reason you can ever come up with. i would spend that money on somethink else, like cpu, memory, watercooling, a decent psu, mod supplies, tools, a nice set of speakers or anything you could actually use to its full potential. because the only time you will see any difference between a single and dual 6800U setup is in benchmarks and torture tests.

The SlackMeister

Quote Originally Posted by Frakk
    To be cool....stupidest reason you can ever come up with. i would spend that money on somethink else, like cpu, memory, watercooling, a decent psu, mod supplies, tools, a nice set of speakers or anything you could actually use to its full potential. because the only time you will see any difference between a single and dual 6800U setup is in benchmarks and torture tests.
    i 100% agree. can you see a difference when you play a game maxed out at 90 FPS and when you play it with same settings at 110 FPS? i dont think you can. so whats the point of spending 1k just on video. plus, when new cores are going to come out (R520), it will dominate any 6800 Ultra in SLI.

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew
    Well, I want to get two ultras because...well...it would be cool, and I dont like to hold on to money.
    I would hold to my cash for 2 months considering r520 is coming. If the rumors are correct then one of them will be equal to Ultra SLI, guess two of them in MVP will be kind of fun...
    www mashie org

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by Frakk
    Or if you play at proper resolutions such as 2048x1536...
    www mashie org