Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: questions about RAID 0

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: questions about RAID 0

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    If I'm buying a set for RAID, they're all the same drive, ordered at the same time.
    Very rarely you might run into a problem with this.. A friend of mine who's a tech/admin at a web hosting company was building up a few large storage arrays for a client a few years ago and it just so happened that all of the Seagate Cheetahs that he was using were all from a run that had a bad supply of controller chips..~10 minutes after turning it on, the entire array went up in smoke (literally).

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Thinking about how it would all work now, I'm pretty sure the array would just disregard the wasted space and that would be that.
    It depends how you're doing the array. For example, on my fileserver I just use mdadm software RAID, addressing partitions, not physical drives. If you do that, you could easily have a separate partition for the rest of the drive. But, like you said, if that drive fails it wouldn't help you anyway...
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Oh, ick. Software RAID? What's the point?
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    Oh, ick. Software RAID? What's the point?
    Cheap.
    Flexible.
    Durable (If all my controllers, my MBB, my CPU, and my OS HDD..well, OS CF in this case.. all fail, I just drop the drives in another Linux system and tell it to find the array).
    Controller agnostic.
    Easy multi-controller array.
    Performance doesn't really matter in this implementation (simple storage, always accessed over 1Gbps ethernet, lower RPM low-power drives).
    Oh, and did I mention cheap?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Hmmm. Worth thinking about.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.