Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: questions about RAID 0

Default questions about RAID 0

if i have a 320 gb seagate, do i have to get the same drive to be able to raid? or could i get like a WD 320 to use with it? I appreciate your help TBCS!
    Not dead yet

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: questions about RAID 0

1) What are you using to manage the array (hardware controller, software, etc).
    2) Usually, no, as long as the capacity is the same it doesn't matter.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

im just planning on using my motherboard's built in controller to manage it. im getting a small SSD for my OS, and want to put my games on a raid 0 with the 320's. then have a 1t for storage and backups
    Not dead yet

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Even if the capacities are different, the raid will just limit the larger drive to the same size as the smaller one.
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Sounds like a good plan. ..just make sure you back up any data you would mind losing onto that 1TB...if a drive dies in a RAID 0 you're hosed.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Semi-related query:

The RAID will limit the larger drive to match the smaller drive's capacity. Can the extra space be allocated to another partition for other use?
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    Semi-related query:

The RAID will limit the larger drive to match the smaller drive's capacity. Can the extra space be allocated to another partition for other use?
    I'm not sure, but it would slow your array down anytime the larger drive had to seek something on the spare partition. If it is possible it wouldn't be worth it.

The RAID 0 array will generally be 1.5-1.9x faster than the slowest drive. So for these reasons and those posted above, identical drives are recommended.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

I always feel bad wasting space. Still can't bear to throw away all those gigabytes of ATA66/100/133. I was actually thinking of a recovery partition which could boot the software tools needed to rebuild a broken RAID array ... obviously wouldn't see a lot of use, but damned nice to have handy when you need it.

I've never tried it; my RAIDs have always been matched pairs (or sets) of identical drives.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

I would recommend identical drives for that reason. If I'm buying a set for RAID, they're all the same drive, ordered at the same time.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    I always feel bad wasting space. Still can't bear to throw away all those gigabytes of ATA66/100/133. I was actually thinking of a recovery partition which could boot the software tools needed to rebuild a broken RAID array ... obviously wouldn't see a lot of use, but damned nice to have handy when you need it.

I've never tried it; my RAIDs have always been always pairs (or sets) of identical drives.
    Thinking about how it would all work now, I'm pretty sure the array would just disregard the wasted space and that would be that. The OS wouldn't see any leftover space because it's looking at the array, not at the drive. If the array broke you wouldn't be able to access either drive anyway, so keeping the tools to fix the broken drive on the broken drive wouldn't end well.
    My arrays have always used identical drives as well. I know dissimilar drives work without trying it myself, but various things happen that are not optimal.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.