Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: Project Stealthlow

yea it is. have fun with that one

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    yea it is. have fun with that one
    So glad I bought a disc sander .

Woooo, package from Nils Germany & with his funky personalised drawings on, awesome , can't say I know another shop that does anything like this .

Anyway molex pin removal tool, crimping tool & nice stack of fan/atx pins which came with the crimp tool, 9 sata power through, 6 sata power ends, 150 pre-cut heat shrink, sata heat shrink, 2 lots of each sized cable management clips, 40 metres of small sleeving, 10 metres of sata sleeving & an example of a good crimp.

Just gutted I didn't order a 1 metre sample of all the other colours, something I really should have done D'oh, he did put a sample of grey & red though .

All of this won't be used for quite a while yet but it's here & ready for when I get to the sleeving stage of the mod which will be near the end of the mod.

Here is the disc sander , super awesome tool.

Here is the mess it created after slimming down all the acrylic & aluminium pieces to the precise size .

And here is the aluminium & acrylic to perfect size ready for adding details but still need to polish the edges of the acrylic .

Also ran the unigine heaven benchmark 2.1 with the GTX 580 & wow it really out performed the 5870's in crossfire which I just switched from, I knew it would be good though after trying out metro 2033 with it being able to run maxed with dx11 & physx & was very playable, the 580 is not as long as the 5870 also, really amazing GPU honestly if the 480 was this good at launch I wouldn't have bothered with the 5870, not seen temps go higher than 70c & it runs quieter too, brilliant GPU & I'm enjoying Two Worlds 2 at the moment in-between the project & logging, the game looks & plays amazing .
    Here are the Heaven results, ran it default 1080p no tessellation, default, default extreme tessellation, default extreme tessellation + 8AA & it performs awesome & all this was run on a p45 motherboard with q9650 @ 4ghz & 8gb ddr2 @900mhz so with even better system specs should perform even better.

Up next, polish the edges of the acrylic arrrrrrgh lol.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Nice new toy. Can you get a polishing wheel attachment for it? That or a polishing wheel on a bench grinder would be great for polishing all that plexi.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Yeah it's a very useful machine , already got a bench grinder adapted for polishing .

But crap, here's my first set back.

The drill press really isn't up to the accuracy challenge, marked the hdd mounting holes, took it to the drill press very carefully aligned it, plunged in still being careful but it still wandered off & was a good 1 to 2mm away from where I tried to drill, I've had it with this drill press lol it's just not accurate, my dad got it off someone a fair while ago & only started getting any use when I did my last project, honestly it's like a 1 in 4 chance of getting the holes where you want them, I'd have been much better off using a normal drill.

I knew I should have got a new one a bit ago.

Just ordered a cheap clarke one, I'm sure it'll do better than the one which has been wonky for so long, also had to order another sheet of 3mm aluminium so I can redo the part but to my surprise I found some much cheaper than the place I get it from usually, I only need 145mm x 108mm as well, just wasn't quite enough spare.

Anyway while I wait for these very much needed bits I'll get the acrylic edges polished up, but damn that's annoying, was hoping to get the hdd cages done today but can't do anything that requires accurate drill holes so with a bit of luck I'll have the new drill press on tuesday.

Do you have any pics of the sanded edges? I'd like to see how well they came out. I've heard it's better to sand acrylic edges in one direction, parallel to the face. It sounds like the disc did a good job though, so I'm curious as to whether what I heard was just a bunch of fluff.
    If you don't have 'before polishing' pics, at least post some pics of all your hard polishing work!
    I like the design so far. Nice work!
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will do mate, had an accident earlier, today I was going to make the hdd cages but the drill press is playing up & I messed up 1 of the 4 pieces & later went back to check out the drill press, a loose vice fell off the work top & straight onto my foot when I went for a double check, should have left it til tomorrow, knackered from lack of sleep, hurt like crazy lol but I'm just hoping there is no real damage, can move my toes ok & can walk so both good signs , but it just doesn't feel right, here's hoping it's just a bad bruise.

Anyway I'll get progress pictures up of the polishing when I start tomorrow, thinking of getting a bunch of 5 at a time & sanding them like I would if I lap a heatsink, move up in grit & eventually pollish it off with a soft mop on the bench grinder, the disc sander will mostly be used for getting straight clean edges straight after cuts also great for bevels & angles.

Might have the new drill press on Tuesday if there's no delivery problems with the snow/ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
    Will do mate, had an accident earlier, today I was going to make the hdd cages but the drill press is playing up & I messed up 1 of the 4 pieces & later went back to check out the drill press, a loose vice fell off the work top & straight onto my foot when I went for a double check, should have left it til tomorrow, knackered from lack of sleep, hurt like crazy lol but I'm just hoping there is no real damage, can move my toes ok & can walk so both good signs , but it just doesn't feel right, here's hoping it's just a bad bruise.
    Ouch! I hope your foot's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
    Ouch! I hope your foot's okay.
    Thanks Luthien I think it is, just bruised, never usually yell out in pain but did with that lol thought I obliterated my foot, took my shoe off expecting something nasty but seemed to have got off lucky so back to doing the project later .