Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Stealthlow

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Project Stealthlow

Quote Originally Posted by DonT-FeaR View Post
    this is looking brilliant. i really wanna steal this hahah

+vento was never completed. will be eventually
    LOL Tanks mate is it in a usable state though?.

Here's a picture to show the clearance between the fan holders & the optical.

And here is rough concept of the jig I'll make for doing the bending, this is with a slightly adjusted curve at the top so it will duct the air out better.

For the poles I'll be chopping up broom sticks lol .

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

yes vento is in a state where ive been using it for about.. 6 or more months as my case.. it just needs paint a nd a hard drive rack honestly.. AND back to your log
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

The wheels of progress are slowly starting to turn again , got the jig materials & cut the 2 main panels to size & have an accurate model made for a guide for the jig, I'll mark up with the rest of today & get them made tomorrow.
    I was recomended to get dowel poles but for ones of decent thickness it would have cost too much just for a jig so stuck with original plan of broom stick handles , they are 28mm thick & cost £2 per 1200mm pole & got 3 of them, I'll get 4 poles out of each one.
    The panels are 18mm chip board, why get quality wood to be wasted on a jig?.

LOL, I really need to tidy & clean up the garage before I can proceed, started playing twister again & it totally wrecks my concentration for what I aim to do when over there so cannot think on the objective lol .

So I'll get it as sorted as possible tomorrow, it's a shame as it's a nice sized garage but the work space is made ultra small with the 2 motorbikes, 2 big fridges, multigym & barbells, dumbells stacks of beer all over the place so can barely move, just wish my dad would get rid of the bikes then I could set all the machines up properly would make working over there like a dream compared to how it is.

Probably got 4 foot by 8 foot with obstacles so really need to have a good tidy then I might be able to think straight when over there.

---------

Just finished the big tidy & clean up so I'm good to start tomorrow, got heaps more space again, should have taken a before & after picture for LOLs.

Yaaaay got past the worst of the man flu so only got lots of mucus now lol.

Marked the acrylic to re-make the failed fan holder, then cut & this time I decided to use the jigsaw, went very well, I remember the first time I tried cutting thinish materials with the jigsaw & I never knew of the essential concept of clamping down a work piece very well before trying to cut so now I do & it went perfectly fine, it's a very cheapo jigsaw too so was pleasantly surprised with the clean cuts , then I used the disc sander to get perfect edges, then used the hole cutter to add the holes.

Now then, I put the milling bit to use, first I changed the drill speed to max & all I did was get the work base to the height I wanted to cut at & clamped a piece of wood so I could slide the acrylic pieces through slowly, do this for all 3 pieces adjusting the clamp as I go, did 2 cutting stages for all pieces, now standard 120mm fans can slide in & out without modification.

I found I'll need to make all the thin sticks of acrylic a little thinner to match the edges, then I'm good to start making jigs for these fan holders, then I should have perfect fan holders as I originally intended .

Here is a picture of the flanged nut rivets experiment that I milled just enough depth for them to sit flush, when I ordered the 8mm milling bit I had other nut rivets in mind so to use these how I want to I should buy the correct size mill bit so it looks correct.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Hahaha, nice job with the plexi 'milling'. You should look for a 2D drill press vise. Basically a poor man's manual milling table.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Hahaha, nice job with the plexi 'milling'. You should look for a 2D drill press vise. Basically a poor man's manual milling table.
    Thanks 88 , I've tried looking for those but can only find them in USA & the shipping is a scary £100+ lol.

Text update for today .

Spent the day wet sanding the acrylic adhesive off all the pieces, had to else the bond would have been off, then cleaned them all up & about an hour ago used the acrylic adhesive again but with jigs this time so I only stuck the thin pieces together & the pieces with holes, so tomorrow I'll get the thin blocks sanded down to correct size & then stick the thin pieces to the larger holed pieces, then sand again for a nice smooth finish, looking forward to getting these pieces done with, that bending jig I made is begging to be used .

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Hey, I just thought of something... You should ask slaveofconvention to pick up a 2D drill press vise and bring it back on the plane (note: I'm not volunteering him, just a suggestion ). I happen to know they have a car and there are two Harbor Freight's in Las Vegas.... Even if you have to pay him for an extra baggage weight fee (idk what airline he's using) and ship it to you once he's over there, but I imagine even so it would be a lot cheaper than normal shipping. Just a thought.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV