Thread: Got stuff but don't know what to do?

Fresh Paint

Default Got stuff but don't know what to do?

Hi everyone

Am new to this whole (and wonderful) idea of case modding. Though I've never done it before but I want to get into this. I have some old electronics lying with me and I need ideas, tutorials, and possible scenarios what can be done.

Here is what I have:
    A brand new Desktop and a Laptop- don't want to touch these 2

Old Pentium 166 in working condition (i tested it recently)
    Old Pentium 4 2.8 GHz in semi working condition (3 out of 4 RAM slots not functioning)
    14" and 17" Monitors (14" not working)
    Nokia N93 (body broken, camera not working...can make phone calls though)
    Qool QDA 700 touchscreen PDA phone (works but due to some problem drains the battery in 1 hour...by the way anyone heard of this phone???)
    And a whole lot of junk like worldspace receiver, large 7" b/w LCD clock, couple of basic cell phones, 2 printers and a VCR.

All of this stuff is lying in my garage.

So before I sell them as scrap I thought I would just look around and see if they can be used as whole or in parts for some exciting project and then I found this website...

Anyways, if the prospect excites anyone...post your idea, links, tutorials etc and lets see if anything can come out.

P.S.- NO cannot sell/send it outside of India.

Cheers

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Got stuff but don't know what to do?

I would just work on the Pentium cases. Modify them however you see fit.
    Everything else (except maybe the printers) I would consider selling at a pawn shop or yard sale. VCR might as well go into the garbage since it's been phased-out.

Are your PCs custom or over-the-counter (Dell, HP, Lenvolo, ect.)? If they are, what. Sometimes it depends on the case you have and it's potential to not be recognized (or as recognizable) as it used to be...

Secondly, If your PC(s) LOOK(S) bad-@$$ after the planned mod(s), will it (they) BE a bad-@$$. I strongly recommend upgrading your hardware.

P.s.: This your phone?
    Last edited by landonj56; 12-04-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: wrong word used to convay message.

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

I usually harvest parts off of broken hardware before scrapping them. I have used the chargers from broken Nokia phones to power electronics projects. I have several case fans that came out of broken power supplies.

That PDA phone probably just needs a new battery. My old phone used to have good battery life until it got old. A 5 minute phone call will deplete it now.

You can probably sell that P4 for a few bucks ... search your local craigslist to see what other people are asking for that kinda stuff, costs nothing to advertise, eh? In my area decent P4 mobo/CPU (with cooler) combos can be bought/sold for about $30-50; complete P4 systems (with a clean XP install, basic drive/burner, and AGP card) cost about $100-200 depending on how good the stuff is; lol, some fools are still asking for $1000+ for their fully loaded game-modded AGP/P4s, unrealistic. Still, if the system is "junk" then get what you can before it's worth even less; don't spend money upgrading old tech to old tech, just get it working 100% and sell it.

I doubt any of that other stuff is worth anything, except as parts. Too obsolete or easily replaced.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.