Thread: What's a fair price for an episodic game?

Default What's a fair price for an episodic game?

Let's imagine, if we will, that I am a game designer and I have a game in the works that I believe will work better than it has so far if it were split into chapters. Episodes, as you will. It would be a fun few hours per episode, with the ability to save your progress and take it forward. It's no big production, a 16-bit JRPG clone that's heavy on story and exposition but has a pretty complex underpinning for the combat system.

If I wanted to make something available like that, with episodes in something akin to six-month releases, what would you consider fair to pay? Any justifications as to why that price?
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: What's a fair price for an episodic game?

Well, the only episodic games I've ever bought are the HL2 episodes, so maybe not the best comparison... I would say probably ~$5/hr.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Default Re: What's a fair price for an episodic game?

really depends on the playtime you get. id say if its under 2 hours maybe 5$, over 2 hours maybe 10$