Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1925 - An Art Deco Adventure

Default 1925 - An Art Deco Adventure

Hello everyone, this is my first post since my last project concluded in August 2005, Passiv-Agressiv. You can see my brand new redesigned website HERE!

Also, you can follow this project on my site as well as here.

I began a new project in October of 2010, the purpose is to create a beautiful, functional HTPC case for my home. I chose Art Deco as the major influence of the case, and I hope to integrate the detail and design philosophy of Art Deco into the project.

A little background information on the theme source: Art deco features trademark geometric shapes, stark contrasts of dark and light, and fine detail. The period of Art Deco's popularity was from the early 1920s, through 1939 and the rise of post-war mid-century modern design, which replaced Art Deco. Art Deco is what defined the Roaring Twenties in America, and the style that shaped the nation's architecture during this period. I live in Phoenix, and many of our buildings downtown were built in the 1920's and 1930's. New York however is the most dominant and rich source of Art Deco architecture in the country.

All this in mind, my project will feature common Art Deco styling, using hand tools to create authentic Art Deco styled pieces and integrate them into the finished build.

On to the dirty bits:

This project:
    -Scratch build

Hardware:
    -Intel Atom 330/Nvidia Ion based system
    2GB Kingston DDR3

Storage:
    -1(2TB) Samsung Spinpoint F4 5400 RPM drive, upgradeable to two later on.
    -1 SSD, undecided on which model to use.
    -1 Asus or Samsung Blu-Ray drive

The purpose of the build:
    -To be able to serve 1080p content, using a slick interface(considering XBMC at the moment. Thoughts on UbuntuXBMC vs Win7+XBMC welcomed)
    -Playback BluRays, DVDS, and .mkv files(and less)
    -Have the ability to disappear when watching movies(no noise/light)
    -Look amazing sitting on the TV furniture we currently have when the lights are on, and no one is watching a movie.

The Atom platform with Ion GPU is a perfect choice because it is low power, the system will have just one fan on the PSU, so low heat generation is key.

Projected Budget: $500

So, this leaves us with nothing left but to get down to business. First I began with sketches, LOTS of sketches. And even and Art Deco book. It is important when learning about a certain theme to practice drawing and thinking in the methods that are commonly found in the theme. The way lines flow together, common shapes, textures. Art Deco motifs are very uplifting, projecting images of sunlight rays, gazelle, and plant-like structures, while adding the industrial, bas-relief feel to everything, as if the entire world were chiseled out of solid stone. Once I had a grasp on these principles, I came up with sketches like these:

Next, naturally the first thing you do with a shiny new expensive piece of hardware is rip it apart and make sure everything is up to snuff. It wasn't. Asus did a mega fail here, the Atom CPU(right, dual core) and ION GPU(left) are not the same height.

However they thought it was a good idea to use a flat base heatsink for the whole lot and fix the problem with about 0.100" of thermal pads (not pictured).

I confirmed the chip misalignment using a CMM, or coordinate measuring machine. We have a Mitutoyo and a Brown&Sharpe, these machines are capable of measuring with extreme precision, down to 0.0001" on a day to day basis. After examining the motherboard, turns out the GPU is actually 0.0231" HIGHER than the atom CPU!

Using the ruby probe to contact the surface of the chip.

Needless to say I wasn't amused by this laziness, and I simply fixed the problem using a 3/4" solid carbide endmill.

The total flatness of the surface is now less than 0.0001" overall, taken with a 16 point average.

Much better contact is being made with all surfaces.

Thats all I have for now, Currently working on this little bracket to mount the BluRay drive 0.125" off the case floor. The drive will sit on the left side of the case toward the back, facing out the left side. The motherboard will be mounted on a tray about 2 inches off the case floor above the drive. See the sketch above for details.

This bracket will hold the drive using little rubber grommets cannabalized from a WD external hard drive enclosure. Starting with an ordinary piece of aluminum angle stock.

Roughing the shape out

Time to get filing, my arsenal includes over 100 files of different size, cut, texture, and shape for different purposes, here I will just be using a few though.

Getting closer:

Almost done, test fitting the rubber grommet dealies.

Perfect!

Add a little gold leaf accent in the middle, clearcoat for fingerprint resistance and surface finish, aaaand:

Until next time!
    Visit The Sanatarium for more madness!
    Current Project: 1925 - An Art Deco Adventure

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: 1925 - An Art Deco Adventure

Beautiful start! I've had an art-deco/industrial-era case bubbling in the back of my head for a long while now, I'll be interested to see your design elements. The sketches are great!
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Thanks! Yeah I have always had an interest in this era, lots of potential Finally got the cards in the right order to jump in.

Great start! Can't wait to see where you take this. Sub'd

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ATi_Loyalist View Post
    Do you have this one in a way bigger size? It'll be a great wallpaper!
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38394/IMG_0109.JPG
    Here ya go buddy, uncompressed original

//November 17, 2010

Small update, playing around with engraving, here is an Art Deco style eagle I drew up in Illustrator

I most likely wont use this exact piece in the project, but it gives you an idea of what the potential is. I will engrave things like markings on the back panel for I/O ports and power jacks, etc.

Creating a flat surface on the round stock:

The paths for the engraving

Finished engraving:

Until next time!

Sanatarium

Wow.. I am loving where you are going with this. I have always like the Deco cases that SlipperySkip turns out. I think you might just be taking it to the next level! Totally digging the modded Atom as well! Looking forward to seeing this progress, and thanks for sharing it with us here on TBCS.

I like where this is headed, +sub.

That is really cool. Are you using a CNC Mill?
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER