Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The RPG that quenches... is it out there?

Default The RPG that quenches... is it out there?

So I'm quite a sci-fi nerd. I don't mind WoW, but let's face it, it's older than dirt and I got easily bored after a while.

I don't mind fantasy, it is pretty fun. But the only series that kept me actually interested was morrowind and oblivion series. Why? Because you can keep playing. In some ways it doesn't end. But it lacks multiplayer obviously...

X3 I found to be enticing. But in some ways it is so slow paced that I find myself yawning on some things, or going out and trying to conquer the galaxy, only to find out I am horribly fragile and then I die. And it is also very complex.

The Gothic series was a great amount of fun but again.... There are just some elements lacking that after a while I couldn't find myself enticed.

Darkfall was good. But unfortunately it lacks the ability to level up at a rate that is competitive. Once you come up on someone who has been in the game for a long time (and believe me, there's plenty of them) you are pretty much at their mercy and you get horribly raped, beaten, and thrown into the curb in the back alley, only to wonder why you are spending money to play a game where you essentially live to do so. It would take forever and then some to get to the level those guys are at in that game.

Darkstar one was a nice mix between X3 and Freelancer, but unfortunately after a while, it's the same crap over and over...

Single player... multiplayer... what is there that has many elements, can give you HOURS and HOURS of gameplay.

"When I was a kid" (i'm still young, but i feel old when i mention old games and "the 90s") I remember when it would take me WEEKS to beat some games. Now I go drop half a benjamin on a game and what do I get? Maybe 2 days of gameplay at the most. I'm sorry.... but how does it take 2 years of game production to make an 8 hour game?

So... for the RPG nerds like me... who like sci-fi and who enjoy some fantasy... what is there? What RPG have YOU played that offered a lot of elements and gameplay and kept you tied to it and glued to the screen?

What was "WORTH YOUR MONEY".... ???

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: The RPG that quenches... is it out there?

If you enjoy Morrowind and Oblivion, you will love Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. Think Oblivion but set in a post-apocalyptic US after a nuclear war. ..oh, and with guns. They even use the same graphics engine as Oblivion.

If you're looking for an MMO and want to lose...a lot of time... ...yeah...a LOT of time... <_< >_> Try out EVE Online. Great game, awesome game, I love it to death...but it swallowed my life for a couple months a year or so ago and I swore to myself that I wouldn't let myself play it. Ah well, at least this way I have time for more useful things. Like modding!

EDIT:
    Oh, and you might want to check out Borderlands. You can pick up the GOTY edition with all four expansions for $50 now, and IMO it's definitely worth it. It's sort of an FPS with an RPG slant.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

im in the same boat as you man. if you find one let me know. i think the last good game i actually played was dungeon siege.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

I played fallout 3, it was pretty good. Did not try new vegas. My main issue is that fallout 3 liked to crash every now and then (just like the oblivion engine did originally with oblivion) rare... but still now and then. Played eve a long time ago, though it was YEARS ago. Not sure if they changed what they said they would. They had about a billion different "things we are going to add" and even a year after that they never added them so I stopped. Never tried it since.

Fallout 3 is a blast though! Thanks for the reminder, I may have to go back and try and beat the game and try all the missions and achievements all over again.

There's also a few expansions for Fallout 3, if you haven't tried them yet. I haven't played any of them yet...they're sitting in my Steam list, waiting...
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

I haven't actually tried them. Good idea!

By expansions he means DLC, there is one that increases the level cap I heard that was a good one to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Killa_Ape View Post
    By expansions he means DLC
    I've never really understood the point of that phrase. It expands the content of the game, therefore it is an expansion pack...why do we have a different name for it because the delivery method?
    --Benjamin Franklin

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    There's also a few expansions for Fallout 3, if you haven't tried them yet. I haven't played any of them yet...they're sitting in my Steam list, waiting...
    You have GOT to play them. I bought the Game of the Year edition and it came with all of them. They really do bring the game back to life and introduce a lot of new stuff. Well worth the price just for the expansions for me.

Play them. Play them now.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    I've never really understood the point of that phrase. It expands the content of the game, therefore it is an expansion pack...why do we have a different name for it because the delivery method?
    For me I view an expansion that adds a significant amount of content as the DLC just adds a little bit. For example, Dragon Age has DLC and an expansion.