Thread: RAM Suitability

Default RAM Suitability

Hey all,

I'm currently looking to upgrade my RAM, and have a few general questions about compatibility and which combo would be best to go for.

My current specs are in my signature, and as you can see I'm still on DDR2. In terms of size, would it better for me to keep my current sticks and add on another 4GB (2x2) or remove the old 2GB (2x1) sticks and simply stick with the new 4GB ones. Not too sure how dual channel affects performance and to what extent, but seeing as the two new sticks I'm looking to buy will very likely be of a different make and model to the ones I have now, I'm not too sure whether the best way to go is to stack them together or swap the old for the new.

Also, in terms of manufacturers, OCZ is yet to do wrong by me, and I was eyeballing the OCZ 4GB 8500 Platinum sticks, but wanted to hear what others had to say and whether or not I should look to alternatives like Corsair or Kingston.

Cheers for the help
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 // Asus P5N32-E SLI //
    2G OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper HPC // nVidia GeForce GTS 250 //
    Logitech X-530 // Seasonic 650W PSU // 24" Samsung 2493HM

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: RAM Suitability

Because the new RAM you're looking at has a higher CAS latency than the set you have now, your MBB should automatically ramp the old sticks down to the CAS latency of the new ones. However, since the new ones you're looking at have a higher clock than your old set, your MBB will automatically ramp the new ones down to match the old. So, depending on your needs and future plans, it may or may not be a good idea to run them both at the same time.

As far as selecting a set, I actually have two of the OCZ 4GB PC2-8500 Platinum sets your looking at and I am very happy with them.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

OCZ has never done wrong by me either, and I've bought several sets of their RAM in the past. I currently have 4GB of PC3-12800 that has never had any problems...although it would never run one iota beyond spec. It's fast enough though.
    The modules you've picked out are good. If I needed DDR2 I'd get those.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Because the new RAM you're looking at has a higher CAS latency than the set you have now, your MBB should automatically ramp the old sticks down to the CAS latency of the new ones. However, since the new ones you're looking at have a higher clock than your old set, your MBB will automatically ramp the new ones down to match the old. So, depending on your needs and future plans, it may or may not be a good idea to run them both at the same time.

As far as selecting a set, I actually have two of the OCZ 4GB PC2-8500 Platinum sets your looking at and I am very happy with them.
    Taking this into consideration, would I be better off going for another set of PC2 6400 OCZ HPC sticks, this time 2x2GB, and using them along side my current 2x1 GB sticks rather then going for the newer PC2 8500 sticks and most likely only using those?
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 // Asus P5N32-E SLI //
    2G OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper HPC // nVidia GeForce GTS 250 //
    Logitech X-530 // Seasonic 650W PSU // 24" Samsung 2493HM

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

If you don't plan on upgrading your RAM again, then yes. If you do, then no.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV