Thread: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+

Default AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+

Alright I have the above processor and have seen a cpu-z verified clock of 4.2 on it. I am currently trying to get there and I have gotten to 2.887 with still being able to boot and such. Mainly this has been done by changing my bus speed and I have not yet messed with voltages. I looked it up on amd's site and it said voltages were 1.25-1.35v acceptable and I am hovering now at 1.408v. Am I going to hurt anything by over volting or is this just common place for overclocking?

processor page for reference
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+

Unless you go way over, I think it just adds more heat than anything else. You will also likely see a decrease in life expectancy, but it's so high to begin with, that that part doesn't matter much.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

If it's 65nm you should be safe to 1.5+
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Are you on stock or water?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Alright I have the above processor and have seen a cpu-z verified clock of 4.2 on it. I am currently trying to get there and I have gotten to 2.887 with still being able to boot and such. Mainly this has been done by changing my bus speed and I have not yet messed with voltages. I looked it up on amd's site and it said voltages were 1.25-1.35v acceptable and I am hovering now at 1.408v. Am I going to hurt anything by over volting or is this just common place for overclocking?

processor page for reference
    Chances are the 4.2 was with LN2, or at the very least, ice water. I doubt if you could hit that with just a normal water setup. I mean, that's 100% OC...I'm sure that would just about boil water.
    As long as you don't leave the chip over-volted for daily use, it's not likely to cause any problems. Too low and it doesn't boot, too high and it simply dies. That's the inherent risk. No two chips are the same. /shrug
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

it also depends a lot on your RAM as well. As you OC your CPU your RAM OC's as well. If it can't handle it it will be your bottleneck. I know my Q6600 will hit 4 on air, but I can only hit 3.6 due to my RAM not letting me go higher

It is the 65nm core, I am on liquid usually running at around 84 degrees farenheit on a 2.8 overclock, I am running ddr2 800 2 gigs of g skill and 4 gigs of something I indirectly got from tgs via I don't remember its monday sue me.
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    It is the 65nm core, I am on liquid usually running at around 84 degrees farenheit on a 2.8 overclock, I am running ddr2 800 2 gigs of g skill and 4 gigs of something I indirectly got from tgs via I don't remember its monday sue me.
    My lawyer will be in contact shortly.

As for the RAM holding you back, you can change the RAM:FSB ratio to avoid that. Of course, if it's benchmarks you're after, this isn't a good idea. If you're just after an insane CPU clock-speed, then have at it.

As for the q6600 hitting 4.0 on air...the chip won't survive unless the air is extremely chilled. Mine hits 4 on water, but it's not stable (even with insane voltages that should have killed it)...sometimes Windows BSODs before starting. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if I got the worst q6600 die in the world. I'm lucky.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Wish I could find the page with the cpuid verified clocks and the settings and stuff I have no idea where it was or why i didnt bookmark it. As for having the worst luck that would be on me good sir, at least a fair amount of the time.

well upped the voltage and it lifted the ceiling on my bus speed, I am up to 3044.5mhz
    validated