Thread: Printing on case panels?

Fresh Paint

Default Printing on case panels?

Hi all,

I'm semi-seriously considering this for my next case modding project, but would anyone happen to know if there's a service out there that allows you to print images directly onto case panels, for example? I would be looking to print or transfer photos or highly complex images onto the panels which would make it impractical to airbrush or stencil on (especially given that I have no artistic talent).

I had used this site (http://www.stickerart.com.au/) for my previous project to print vinyl decals for my current case, but of course, if it is an option, printing directly onto the panels would look much more professional.

Anyway, this is more or less a hypothetical for now, so with any possible suggestions, assume that money is no object :p

Default Re: Printing on case panels?

Welcome to TBCS!

You say you have no artistic talent, but that's like someone saying they aren't aren't muscular. You just need to exercise your talent.

If you really want it professionally done, you could check out custom airbrushing services in your area or even screen-printing shops. Ask the screen-printers if the ink they use binds to metal as some types do and some don't.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

yeah, +1 on checking out a screen printing shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

or you can do what NZXT did with the MW2 edition Tempest EVO and use a water-transer method as well

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Welcome to TBCS!

You say you have no artistic talent, but that's like someone saying they aren't aren't muscular. You just need to exercise your talent.

If you really want it professionally done, you could check out custom airbrushing services in your area or even screen-printing shops. Ask the screen-printers if the ink they use binds to metal as some types do and some don't.
    Thanks - it's great to be here
    That's very true, but I'm not sure what I could practice airbrushing on to get my skills up - this particular project is the first thing I've ever considered it for. I've looked around and there do seem to be a few professional airbrush shops around my area that look like potential options.

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA
    or you can do what NZXT did with the MW2 edition Tempest EVO and use a water-transer method as well
    Do you mean water transfer decals? If that's the case then I think that's probably a more accessible option financially and in terms of facilities. I've had some (negative) experience with water transfer decals for plastic models before and they tend to be quite fragile - would I need to spray some kind of lacquer or protectant over my custom ones?

Quote Originally Posted by fonzler View Post
    That's very true, but I'm not sure what I could practice airbrushing on to get my skills up - this particular project is the first thing I've ever considered it for.
    Cardboard. Paper. A small neighbor child. Anything that you have laying around.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Signshops can also do printed decals, that is, the graphic is printed onto an adhesive (vinyl) sheet instead of on the object itself. Screenprinting is probably too expensive for a one-off job (involved set up time), but many shops have special digital printing equipment which can do near photo quality detail.

They can usually accept artwork in any common format. The more time they need to spend tinkering with your data, the more they'll charge you. Bring your case along so they can do proper dimensions and apply it in shop for a small charge (they'll probably do a better application job than you will, unless you have experience with this).

They might also offer different vinyls with different thicknesses and surface textures. Be careful to specify you want vinyl with a premium ("weather grade") adhesive, so it doesn't start peeling off at the corners after a few months of getting warm.

Do all your window cutting, blowholes, etc, before you apply vinyl sheets - you'll get cleaner edges that way.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

http://customhobbydecals.com/ This is a good website too