Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: radeon 6000 series soon?

Default radeon 6000 series soon?

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/gra...n-late-october

i honestly dont think itll be that soon, 5000 series didnt come out that long ago did they?

Default Re: radeon 6000 series soon?

I have been hearing November, so late October is a bit ahead of schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by farlo View Post
    5000 series didnt come out that long ago did they?
    Well, the 5000 series launched in Q4 2009, and according to the article there aren't any major changes in the 6000 series, just tweaks and optimizations (kinda like the GeForce 9000 series). It'll be interesting to see how they stack up against the current competition.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

From what I have been reading, the 6000 series was originally slated for 32nm fab, but TSMC has skipped that stage and is going straight to 28nm, so the 6000 series is a mix between what it originally was and the 5000series.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/09/...thern-islands/
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

i posted this like a month or so ago lol they are expected out by halloween.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    kinda like the GeForce 9000 series
    Not like the GeForce 9000 series at all. They were more or less rebrands, and the reason I stopped paying attention to Nvidia. The 6000 series has a new shader configuration (from 4 + 1 to 4). Previously the 1 separate one was able to do transcendentals (cos, sin, etc), now this duty is spread throughout the other 4 shaders. 4 is smaller than 4 + 1 (in die size) and supposedly is faster due to higher shader utilization. Don't expect miracles due to no process shrink, but Northern Islands (6000 series, Charlie had it wrong at first) has the benefit of an improved TSMC 40nm process that ATI knows quite well.

Timeline wise the 6700 series is "due" in mid October, the 6800 series will follow sometime in early November (IIRC there have been no official announcements yet).
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtekk View Post
    Not like the GeForce 9000 series at all. They were more or less rebrands, and the reason I stopped paying attention to Nvidia.
    They weren't just rebrands, they were a die-shrink. So, the same thing but taking up less space, consuming less power, and producing less heat. Sounds like AMD is doing a bit more than that with the 6000 series, but still, my point is, it's mostly minor changes, not an entirely new chip.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    They weren't just rebrands, they were a die-shrink. So, the same thing but taking up less space, consuming less power, and producing less heat. Sounds like AMD is doing a bit more than that with the 6000 series, but still, my point is, it's mostly minor changes, not an entirely new chip.
    The tweaks in the 9000 series were so small it was more or less a rebrand. Really, a dieshrink is not enough to qualify for a new series name . Later die shrinks caused things like the 275 to be the die shrinked 280 not a rebrand of the 280 to 380. This go around ATI (well nvidia is in the same situation but they have nothing new in the high end realm to release this year) doesn't have a smaller process available to them (TSMC failed to deliver a working 32nm process).
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Video cards come out way too often. At Micro Center we have far too many cards to even count. I really need to organize that aisle.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar