Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Component Upgrading

Default Re: Component Upgrading

hmm... theres no easy way to say this... i think you may have to reinstall windows... i know swapping hdd's onto new motherboards was always a problem with xp (at least for me) you may want to back up your data and run a clean install... ill also second the aforementioned upgrade to 7. in regular mode it should still start, just without the necessary drivers, which wouldnt effect anything but performance
    Not dead yet

try a wipe and fresh xp install. I know i've had problems with swapping hdd's onto new mobos with xp before.
    Not dead yet

Fresh Paint

I've got my old components hooked up now and everything is working as expected. I'm installing the software/drivers off the CD that came with the motherboard, so hopefully it will work after this :/

If not - quick question about reinstalling XP or even upgrading; how will the new(ish) OS cooperate with my 1TB drive? Theres only music/movies, and a handful of pictures on it, but thats really all I would want to save. I originally formatted the drive with this OS, so would I have problems accessing that data on a new installation?

Edit -

It's a no go with the software/drivers installed off the CD Depending on how well a new installation of XP works with my 1TB drive, I'll most likely try that out.

Interestingly enough, the CD did install Asus Express Gate, which is a mini, mini OS that loads right when the computer starts. I'm typing this right now using that OS, lol. Anyway, this tells me that the hardware is fine, and since the drivers didn't work, the problem must be with Windows XP. Theres about 200-300GB of data on that drive right now, so if I can still use all of that with an reinstallation, I have no problem doing that, since I have reinstalled windows a couple times on this old computer over the years that I've had it, it's just a time consuming process.

Anyway, I'm sure you can tell I have a real keyboard under my fingers by the way I'm rambling XD. Again - Thanks a lot for all the help, this is a wonderful community.

hmm... you only have one drive in the pc? because windows 7 will handle xp's filesystem with no problems what so ever. if you have just one drive maybe you can find a way to partition the drive without wiping your data, and just install the OS on the new partition?
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    if you have just one drive maybe you can find a way to partition the drive without wiping your data, and just install the OS on the new partition?
    This.

Hook up your original hardware and boot into windows. Hit win+r keys and type 'diskmgmt.msc' and enter. From there you can add a new partition to your drive assuming it has enough free space. You can keep all your files intact on the old partition and install windows 7 on the new one.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    partition the drive without wiping your data, and just install the OS on the new partition?
    /\This. You'll need to shrink the existing partition on the 1TB, then install Windows in the empty space. Alternately, you could wipe your 320, move all the data you want to save onto there, then wipe the 1TB, install on there, and move all your data back.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Fresh Paint

I've got two drives, a 320 which has Windows XP on it right now, and a 1TB, which only has hte data I want to keep on it. Do I have to create partitions and move data around if all I want to do is wipe the 320 and reinstall XP on it? I named the 1TB drive Y:/ drive when I made it - would a new installation of XP still recognize it as Y:/ with all the data on it?

Down the road I might just buy a smallish SSD, and a new copy of Windows 7, installing 7 on the SSD - would 7 be able to recognize the 1TB and all the data on it?

Last question before work - Will reinstalling Windows for sure fix the problem I'm having with my new components?

You shouldn't have to do anything to the 1TB drive if it's not the drive with your OS on it. Whatever OS you upgrading to should read it just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post

Last question before work - Will reinstalling Windows for sure fix the problem I'm having with my new components?
    Defiantly maybe. But, it cant hurt, and im 99% sure it will help. not to mention a new copy of XP should be run pretty often... to make your reinstallation a little less painful, heres a link.

http://www.ninite.com

possibly the best way to install programs on a clean OS ever.
    Not dead yet

Anodized

The reason you had blue screens when moving to the new hardware is that windows has specific security features built in that freak out when the install is placed on a different ide\sata controler. Its basicaly for copy protection, this dosnt happen at all on enterprise licenced copies of XP.

For future reference these issues can be bypassed for those times when you just want to swap it and go,

An Ars Technica Article in regards..