Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools for modding and scratchbuilding

Fresh Paint

Default Tools for modding and scratchbuilding

I want to get into serious extreme modding, and I am looking for a comprehensive tool list. I have seen the thread in the tool section on modding tools but I would also like brand names and models. I am not new to modding, but am new to the combination of modding using scrathbuilding. I want to do this seriously but dont want to "break the bank".

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Default Re: Tools for modding and scratchbuilding

For the Jig saw, I love my Craft'sman 19V cordless Jigsaw.
    Craftsman also makes a nice Bandsaw.
    Weller makes some of the best tin snips (aviation shears)
    My router is the lower cost model from Craftsman that comes with a router table....The router's nice but the table could be better, I use a stright peice of wood more then the fence that came with it.
    For a tablesaw the Rigid 10" table saw is the best on the market (look for the woodworkers reviews on google)
    handtools are mostly craftsmen
    The Skill 5" random orbit circular sander is very nice ($40 @ walmart)
    Love my Victor OxyAcetalyne torchs

that's what I can think of off the top of my head, for specific tools through up a list we'll fill in the blanks.

Crazybillybob

Fresh Paint

Sure , I'l give a list:

Airbrush & Compressor
    Paints
    Saws and Blades
    Dremel Supplies
    Glues and Adhesives
    Drill Accessories
    Sanders and Papers

Where to obtain, and the best:
    Model Kits - Figure,Auto,Military,Etc.
    Electronic Parts - Servos,Switches,Gears,Etc
    Plastic and Styrene Parts

I will post more when I think of them

Rankenphile

In response to your list:

Dremel Supplies - you can order these online from Dremel's website for a huge selection of quality attachments, but I usually get mine from Sears. Most of the bits are pretty universal, I know the Sears/Craftsman brand dremel bits work with pretty much any Dremel-brand rotary tool.

Glues and Adhesives - Gorilla Glue for everyday use. Can't beat it. If working with acryllics, it depends on the type of acryllic you have.

Drill Accessories - Again, I usually end up at Sears for these, or Home Depot. A good set of drill bits, a few good hole saws, a good circle cutter and a few odd tapping bits should get you through just about anything you need. I have attached a grinding wheel from my dremel to my drill press before, however, when I needed to grind a lot of stuff on a flat plane. Worked great.

Where to obtain, and the best:

Model Kits - Figure,Auto,Military,Etc. -
    eBay or Craig's List, no question. You can scavenge stuff from local hobby shops, but you'll never get good scraps from them, as they usually only sell complete kits. If you're really hot on building a good kitbash box, put up a flyer in your local hobby shop saying you'll buy unused bits from old models or incomplete model sets, and you may get a few hits. Otherwise, go to garage sales, flea markets and any model shows in your area to get deals on old junk kits, which are invaluable for a good kitbash job.

Electronic Parts - Servos,Switches,Gears,Etc - Digikey has an amazing selection at reasonable prices. There are lots of other vendors out there, however, that may have better prices or a better selection, but Digikey is a great place to start.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

I'll try and hit what Rank did not.

Plastics, For clear Plex home depot, for colored and thicker plex Is McMaster Carr. For styrene or cintra (pvc board) go to a local sign shop or USPlastics

Sander like I said before the Skill Random orbit 5" (might be 6") snader is great.

Sand paper....Spend the extra and buy 3M (sand blaster is really good), you can save money by buying the cheap stuff but you'll use more and then it will cost more any how.

I like the Gorilla Glue but for some things you need a good 2 part Epoxy ( loctite and super glue make some good epoxies) can also be picked up at HD.

Electronics parts Digikey is good (but has a minimun) also Mouser.com Has good prices and are fast with delivery.

For Servos....Ebay is your friend You can get single "Standard" size servos for less then $15 ea if you watch you can get 3 for $30 or less ( futaba an Hitec make good servos)

Airbrushes Paasche is a good brand (so I'm told...need to get one my self).
    compresser I've been told a small 4 to 8 Gal 1-2HP compressser is the best way to go plus you can use them with other tools. Craftsman are good.

For painting you need to get a good water trap and particle filter (they hook on to the air line) these can be bought cheap ($5-15) from Harbor Freight.

Sawblades For the jigsaw buy the good ones I like bosh, they last a long time, don't clog as much and leave a cleaner line (buy the clean type for this not the basic....same cost) Cost a little more then others but worth every penny.

Dremel bits You can get diffrent bits cheap at flea markets, look for 1/8" shaft die grinder bits. If your going to work with metal allot invest in a set of carbide burs (there like $8 ea on the street) get sevral shapes (round ball, the tapered and rounded cylender are very usefull) these can be picked up at some well stock little mom & pop hardwares or online.

Hope this helps,

Crazybillybob

Fresh Paint

Thanks for the Info guys. I appreciate it. I also want to know which model kits have the best quality parts, I have used multiple kits before but always opted for the real cheapo stuff when kitbashing.As well as what paints have the best quality.And, I know this is of topic but does anyone know of a website for figure kitbashing and scratchbuilding, I haven't been able to find one tha center on Figures. Thanks again for all help.

Fresh Paint

Oh and also what spray enamels and spray adhesives should I get.

Hi guys, just wanted to use this as a chance to point out that in the UK suppliers for things like plastic and metal are about as easy to find as a condom machine in the Vatican. So if you know a good supplier in the UK, then send it to me so i can add it to my list of suppliers.

Right now, the list is...a grand 1 item long. Pretty crap. It took me 3 weeks to find a single sheet or perspex, so please, if you can help, do it.

Oh, and i ripped that joke from Red Dwarf; and just so you know, i'd never in a million years give up something like Red Dwarf in order to move to a country where all the materials i need are readilly avaliable. You guys miss out. Mostly because some eejit completely screwed up the American pilot of the show, and it never took off. Some of the hardcose Sci-Fi fans might have heard about it though.

-Dave
    Rimmer: Go to Red Alert!
    Kryten: Are you sure sir? It would mean changing the light bulb.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Rankenphile

Dude, the original Red Dwarf is available in the US. We get the BBC here, too.

Well, i'm sold. Anyone got any ideas on the best place to live in the US?

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!