Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Joey's FIRST Work Log - HELP GREATLY APPRICIATED

Default Joey's FIRST Work Log - HELP GREATLY APPRICIATED

Hello TBCS!!!,
    I would like to start this off my saying thank you to everyone here! what an excellent forum with a wealth of info in case modding. I have made 1 post so far, and everyone has been friendly. I am looking forward to becoming an active member here and am thankful for everyone's courtesy.

STORY
    • Let's me start the story with some background about myself. I have always been savy with computers, however I have NEVER built a computer myself, or build my own case. My father is excellent at overclocking and computer building, but I don't believe he has much interest in case modding. Anyway what started me off was he had a ton of very good parts just laying around his office he said I could have...They are not top of the line, but they are free! So I decided to build my own computer with his help. Now I was planning on just getting a cool looking case, (I would love to case mod myself, but I didn't feel I had the necessary skills for it), so I was very close to buying an NZXT Lexa S until I saw it in stores and knowing it was a Mid size i was still pretty surprised how small it was, especially compared to my dad's CM 830. It also kind of seemed cheap and the plastic would break easy...So i kind of dropped the subject for a while.

• Now my college application will need to be submitted in a few months, and I was looking for a little more "umph" behind my engineering portfolio, as well as strengthen extra-curricular. As well as doing some upcoming projects in the NASA/physics club i started, I though an excellent way to demonstrate my AutoCAD, Inventor skills would be to design, draft-up, and make a computer case, and computer...I need to make one anyway right! So the main purpose of the case was going to be used for SOME type of computer distributing project, and since my dad already is an avid Folder, I decided to go with that. Now I'm not going to lie I really wanted just the full Silverstone Raven 01, but the price was wayyy out of what I would allow myself to spend, and lets be honest here...Does a first time builder even deserve such a run way? So anyway I wanted to make my own designed shell and Loved the 90 degree MB on the Raven So I called Silverstone up told them my situation and asked if they had any chassis laying around, and what do ya know! ((( One a side note SilverStone is an excellent company, who are honest, very friendly, and provide excellent products))) So the chassis came yesterday, and it was a little more beat up than I had initially expected. I was not mad at all because the guy had told me there was no "damage" but it did have scratches from removing parts, etc., however they were a little more extensive that I had anticipated. Anyway I have been looking for some sponsorships for the project in past week, and if I didn't have to invest a lot of money, i was going to donated the rig to the University. However I had real trouble with finding any sponsorships, even though EVGA said they would provide a "TRIAL" GPU, and Crucial though about it, but didn't have anything to provide in the end :\ This was kind of a disappointing set back, but oh well. It looks like this build will be staying at home with me but I still plan to do some major folding.

• Currently I am still drafting up my designs, figuring out exactly what I am going to do, and now I plan to powder coat the case. Anyway right now I am trying to figure out how to organize this work log into subjects, so I can start showing you IDEAS, INSPIRATION, DRAFTING DESIGNS, etc. but I can't figure out how to make separate pages for this, and have a Table of Contents on this post, but I'll figure it out shortly and post everything up.

***NOTE: I apologize for the very wordy Story above, but I am very new here and just wanted everyone to know where I was coming from on this project. I promise I will keep this log short and to the point for you guys, as well as try my best to keep it organized.

One thing I want to make VERY clear. I am NEW... I want, and would GREATLY appreciate, ANY constructive criticism, ideas, comments, etc. I am going to do the project how I would like to do it, but you guys are SO creative and have so many out-of-the-box concepts I would be happy to look into your ideas, if you would be interested in sharing.

Thanks again everyone for all your help, and I look forward to learning from all of you, as well as hearing your feedback!!! I hope you enjoy my work log, and I hope you guys stick with it because I feel I have some great ideas,

-Joey

Table of Contents
    Inspiration

Silverstone Chassis: Quick look, Day: 1
    Work In Progress: Joey's First Build!

Tutorials: How to Remove Rivets

Default Re: Joey's FIRST Work Log - HELP GREATLY APPRICIATED

joey, Welcome to TBCS! We are all pretty helpful, and everyone here is glad to chip in our expertise. My first piece of constructive criticism. WE LOVE PICTURES! take a ton of photos, we rarely get bored with them (see: Never). Good luck with grabbing a sponsorship, JW, but what kind of specs were you thinking about for the guts? Air or water cooling? I know that the raven cases are notorious for being awesome for water. Ill be watching this
    Not dead yet

Hey Diluzio! Thanks for the comment...I actually just took a ton of pictures...but I really want to organize this log...How do I create specific pages within a thread??? Also specs...meh ok, compared to everyone on here whos got a i7...My big thing is I want an excellent case so I can upgrade in the future, but for now, the parts I was given are still very good, and I don't want to waste them...I have a Quad Core 6600, uhhh I wanted to get a GTX 400 series GPU, but I'm gunna wait till I upgrade some other stuff, couple Mb's of DDR2, a gigabyte Mobo with P45 I think but its not the newest stuff, as for air cooling/water cooling I REALLY wanted to make my own water cooling unit, but I nor my dad has any experience in this, and I'm a little worried about the pricing...I have to look into them more first...But I definitely want to eventually get it...my case is going to be similar to the original Raven with that Stealth fighter look, So I wanted to mount like 1 or 2 reservoirs (if thats possible) on the back that are kind of cylindrical/ rectangular prism shaped haha. Like the Vents on the jets kinda I guess...I will explain all this in the the Ideas/design sketch/inspiration/initial photo section haha when I figure out how to do a separate page...but I wanted to keep about 4-5 fans in it...so I will be adding a few fans. Check back in about 20mins and I'll have my pictures up
    Thanks again

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joey1558 View Post
    Hey Diluzio! Thanks for the comment...I actually just took a ton of pictures...but I really want to organize this log...How do I create specific pages within a thread???
    Formatting information can be found here http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f....php?do=bbcode

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    Formatting information can be found here http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f....php?do=bbcode
    ahh there it is, thank you

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

NP! Good Luck on your build!

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Closed.

Open.

Closed.

Open.

Closed.... no wait, it's open.

(We really do know what we're doing here, honest.)

Welcome to TBCS!
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

welcome and good luck! I can't wait to see your project! I had never built a case before (but I had built my own computer[s]). Check out my first scratch build Rockin Case (link in my sig) and maybe that'll give you some ideas. Granted that was a full scratch build and not starting with a case, but either way

Welcome and good luck!

Inspiration

My initial thoughts were based mainly off the original Raven01 because I really liked it. However I kept that stealth fighter look, with the jagged edges, but I used TONS of images to change the shape and some concepts around...anyway since there are so many images I compiled them together...but I'll post em up so you can see...

[IMG]
    [/IMG]

[IMG]
    [/IMG]

[IMG]
    [/IMG]

[IMG]
    [/IMG]

Day 1

So this is what I'm starting with...there are a lot more scratches than I anticipated, so it will be sandblasted and powder coated when I am ready...I need to finish the design if i should go with glossy black with accents of flat black, or flat black with accents of glossy, or flat with accents of bronze/goldish...etc. What do you guys think? If some images look really similar I appologise...I'm by no means a photographer and have a crappy camara. I was just experimenting with some lighting changes.

-Thanks

Box is HUGE, with great packaging!
    [IMG]
    [/IMG]

some scratches...sorry its blurry

Some of it is good

and others not so good

The drive bays were crooked and bent????

overall nice case

THANK YOU DAD!