Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Micro Center

Default Re: Micro Center

lol. So you live 25mins away and this is your first time going inside one? You really need to start taking advantage of your close proximity They are hands down the best B&M computer store ever, especially with their awesome CPU/mobo combos or prices.
    EVGA P55 LE :: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8 GHz w/ Zalman 9500 :: 2x 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 :: ATI Radeon 5850 :: Micro Center G2 64GB SSD :: Samsung F3 1TB :: Western Digital 320GB :: X-Fi Xtreme Music :: Corsair TX-750w :: Windows 7 64-Bit :: Lian Li PC-9F

I've been really lucky...when I lived in Michigan, I had a MC about an hour away, now that I live in VA...I STILL have an MC about an hour away

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

TGS, if you can get a job at MicroCenter go for it! I used to work there, and except for the fact that I sold computer systems on commission, which was good money but not super-steady, it was a great place to work. They really put time into training their employees too, and a lot of places these days don't do that. And then of course there's the discount Not *always* cheaper than buying online, but not bad either.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Why did you leave?

I've been meaning to post this for critique. Here's my resume:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KENNETH KIRBY
    124 Highwood Drive
    Belleville, IL 62223
    ( 618 ) 398-4568
    www.pcmodhouse.com
    me@pcmodhouse.com

EDUCATION:

Southwestern Illinois College, Belleville, IL
    Associates Degree - Computer Information Systems - December 2007
    Associates Degree - Computer Technology - December 2006
    Occupational Certificate - Electronics Technology - August 2006

EXPERTISE:
    • Over 3 years total sales experience. Broad experience with commissioned retail hardware and service sales, face-to-face with in-store customers
    • Proficient with testing and repairing computers at component level
    • Upgrading computers; includes hardware and software installation and configuration
    • Expert at PC maintenance, tune-up and virus/malware removal
    • Proficient with MS Office and most software for a Windows based PC

EXPERIENCE:

Radio Shack, Waterloo, IL June 2010 to Aug 2010
    Position – Assistant Manager in-training

Office Depot, Belleville, IL February 2007 to June 2010
    Position – Technology Sales and Service Associate

United States Air Force, Illinois Air National Guard December 2000 to December 2006
    Position – Law Enforcement Officer

United States Marine Corps November 1995 to November 2000
    Position - Administrative Clerk

ACHIEVEMENTS:
    • Shattered up-sales quota by 25%, averaging $3000 monthly in services and warranties
    • Avid PC builder having six computers published in magazines such as:

Maximum PC, “Rig of the Month” Dec 2006 & May 2008
      CPU, “Mod of the Month” Aug 2009
      PC Magazine, “The Art of DIY” Mar 2006
      PC Enthusiast, “Cut-N-Case” Nov 2005 & Jan 2006
      PC Modder, “Mod(ern) Art” Spring 2005
      Atomic Magazine [Australia], “Hotbox of the Month” Aug 2007
      PC Answers [United Kingdom], “Mod of the Month” Feb 2006
    • Won several PC building contests including the www.Bawls.com “Out-of-the-box” Mod of the Month for Oct 2005
    • Featured on hundreds of PC websites such as www.extremetech.com & www.make.com
    • Part-time reviewer of PC hardware and software at www.TheBestCaseScenario.com
    • My own website dedicated to the building and modifying of personal computers at www.pcmodhouse.com
    • Eleven years of Military service where I was awarded numerous military commendations including the Navy Achievement Medal

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is it?
    Last edited by TheGreatSatan; 08-27-2010 at 01:36 PM.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

I left because I didn't really like sales all that much and I was tired of working retail. I ended up getting a graphics job with an environmental consulting firm (which sadly just went out of business so I'm job-hunting again).
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    Why did you leave?

I've been meaning to post this for critique. Here's my resume:

KENNETH KIRBY
    124 Highwood Drive
    Belleville, IL 62223
    ( 618 ) 398-4568
    www.pcmodhouse.com
    me@pcmodhouse.com

EDUCATION:

Southwestern Illinois College, Belleville, IL
    Associates Degree - Computer Information Systems - December 2007
    Associates Degree - Computer Technology - December 2006
    Occupational Certificate - Electronics Technology - August 2006

EXPERTISE:
    • Over 3 years total sales experience. Broad experience with commissioned retail hardware and service sales, face-to-face with in-store customers
    • Proficient with testing and repairing computers at component level
    • Upgrading computers; includes hardware and software installation and configuration
    • Expert at PC maintenance, tune-up and virus/malware removal
    • Proficient with MS Office and most software for a Windows based PC

EXPERIENCE:

Radio Shack, Waterloo, IL June 2010 to Aug 2010
    Position – Assistant Manager in-training

Office Depot, Belleville, IL February 2007 to June 2010
    Position – Technology Sales and Service Associate

United States Air Force, Illinois Air National Guard December 2000 to December 2006
    Position – Law Enforcement Officer

United States Marine Corps November 1995 to November 2000
    Position - Administrative Clerk

ACHIEVEMENTS:
    • Shattered up-sales quota by 25%, averaging $3000 monthly in services and warranties
    • Avid PC builder having six computers published in magazines such as:

Maximum PC, “Rig of the Month” Dec 2006 & May 2008
      CPU, “Mod of the Month” Aug 2009
      PC Magazine, “The Art of DIY” Mar 2006
      PC Enthusiast, “Cut-N-Case” Nov 2005 & Jan 2006
      PC Modder, “Mod(ern) Art” Spring 2005
      Atomic Magazine [Australia], “Hotbox of the Month” Aug 2007
      PC Answers [United Kingdom], “Mod of the Month” Feb 2006
    • Won several PC building contests including the www.Bawls.com “Out-of-the-box” Mod of the Month for Oct 2005
    • Featured on hundreds of PC websites such as www.extremetech.com & www.make.com
    • Part-time reviewer of PC hardware and software at www.TheBestCaseScenario.com
    • My own website dedicated to the building and modifying of personal computers at www.pcmodhouse.com
    • Eleven years of Military service where I was awarded numerous military commendations including the Navy Achievement Medal

How is it?
    Resume looks pretty solid. Only thing that might go against you is the "you're overqualified" issue. I don't know how microcenter works, but you should be a shoe in. Oh and one quick note, Id move experience up above expertise. It sounds more like you value your opinion more then anything else imo. You could possibly even drop the expertise part and include it as a sub section under experience.

Good Point. I have 4 interview coming Mon, Tues, & Wed. Micro Center is on Wed. I'm not sure what the position pays, but if it's less than some of the others, I will probably have to put my wishes on the back burner for money.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Question for you TGS, why arent you applying with companies that actually deal with your degrees?There has to be something out there for you, maybe even something with a work at home initiative.

I've never seen any work at home jobs that are legit. Every other job even remotely similar to my degrees want a Bachelors at minimum. Plus, I don't know any computer languages or have never worked with a Linux server. These are the things they seem to want the most.

It's like any job. How do you get the experience they're looking for if no one will hire and train you?
    WH1T3 0U7

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    It's like any job. How do you get the experience they're looking for if no one will hire and train you?
    I used to ask myself the same question when I would get kids who seemed like they would do ok at Wendys. They'd tell me that McDonalds wouldn't hire them, now I know why, so I'd give them a shot. I'd say my track record with these kids was 7 -8 out of 10 would be good assets to the work place and the others would be gone in a week tops. Maybe I was soft but I always wanted to at least give them the chance to prove themselves.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."