Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Micro Center

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Micro Center

Today I visited a nearby Micro Center. I have never been inside one before and didn't know what to expect. Needless to say, I was in total awe! I had no idea of all the stuff they have! There were at least 30 computer cases to choose from and a large watercooling section. There were fans & grills, cathodes, and case feet. They had processors, RAM, motherboards and video cards. They even have a section called "Build-Your-Own-Computer" where you can pick out all your parts and they'll build it for you. They even have a price list with their prices and the Newegg price next to it!

I asked for the manager and he told me they have a position available in the computer building dept. I let him know about about the dozen or so magazines I've been in and he asked me to send him a resume. So I did.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Default Re: Micro Center

Microcenter is the best place to get Intel processors, especially the "true" i7 (9xx series). Their motherboard prices are at about the right price, not the cheapest, but if you buy the motherboard and CPU there you'll still save quite a bit money (depending on the models of course ).
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Dude, you have a Microcenter near you and you were working at Radio Shack? *sighs and shakes head* Ah well, that is in the past. Now you have found the light and seen the error of your ways. Go and sin no more. ...or is that the other way around.

I hear they actually have pretty good benefits and pay as well, especially for managers. I'm sure you'll fit in there a lot better than at RS.

mtekk's right about the procs too; I don't think they still have any left but at least at the one near me, when Intel jacked the price of the 920's up and most retailers followed suite, Microcenter kept all of their existing stock of 920's at the old price (in-store only though). They're also great for AMD procs as well; the last few months they've been running a special where if you buy one of a certain list of AMD CPUs (one from each level), you get a MBB either for free or a certain amount off. And the free ones aren't crap either, iirc they're all decent Gigabyte boards.

Oh, and their rotating clearance shelf is pure awesome. They rotate the discount, so on top of the normal discount on each item (mostly returned/opened/display/discontinued stuff), they rotate through different % off...the one near me is at 75% off last I checked, but I've seen it as high at 90% off (once). It seems that they start out with no additional discount, but then as they get more and more stuff on the shelf, they'll raise the additional discount. Every time I'm over in that part of town I have to stop by and check it..just in case.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I hate you guys. I wish we had a Microcenter close. and by close I mean ~4 hrs. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Dude, you have a Microcenter near you and you were working at Radio Shack? *sighs and shakes head*
    It's actually about a 25 minute drive, which has always been too far for me to want to drive for work. Lately, I've been applying everywhere because not working is no fun
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

yea the closest one to me is ~40 mins or so, I've only been once

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

The closest one to me I believe was ~2 hours up a freeway that is bumper to bumper nearly every day at certain times.
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

Wow, there's one 2 hours from me! But I will be driving through the area in two weekends to where it's max 10minutes out of my way! I will for sure stop in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

I wish you luck TGS. Sounds like the right job for you, and 25 minutes isnt that bad, especially when you don't have an income to speak of. Make sure you add all the magazine articles youve been featured in, it would give the store an advertising point to generate extra sales.

man... the closest microcenter is 5-6 hrs from my house... ive written them a few times saying they should open a store.. they would clean BB's clock, as everyone around here is sick of BB's BS, and they look for college kids who order parts off newegg... (lol... introduce myself here) i snipe alot of customers when im at the local BB to play with stuff before i buy it online...
    Not dead yet