Thread: Review: NZXT IU01 Internal USB 2.0 Expander.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Review: NZXT IU01 Internal USB 2.0 Expander.

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=538]Review: NZXT IU01 Internal USB 2.0 Expander. [/drupal]

By: Charles J. Gantt ( Oneslowz28 ) & Colin M. Ormsby ( Slaveofconvention )

4 Front USB ports? Check. PCI bracket with another 4 USB Ports? Check. Internal Card reader? Check. USB connected fan controller? Check. Front panel VFD? Check. Internal Infra-red Receiver? Check. Enough USB headers on your motherboard? Erm, No.... Enter the IU01 from NZXT - a ridiculously simple solution to a growing problem for many PC users. Curious? Read on...
    Last edited by Oneslowz28; 08-25-2010 at 04:57 AM.

Default Re: Review: NZXT IU01 Internal USB 2.0 Expander.

Nice review of an interesting accessory. They need one for USB 3 though as I'd rather buy a future-proof internal hub and let it live a very long life in my machine(s). Both of my internal headers are currently occupied, so I would need to pick one of these up in the event I accidentally acquire another internal gadget. I suppose the IU01 is a potential lifesaver.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I agree and disagree. There are so few USB3 items available at the moment. I get what you mean about future proofing, but USB2 is more than fast enough for the majority of applications. USB3 will offer zero benefits over USB2 when it comes to things like card readers, VFDs, Bluetooth etc which are the kind of things you're likely to keep inside your computers. External devices such as Hard disks and externally connected things like network adapters might use the extra bandwidth but they aren't traditionally kept inside the computer. Bear in mind that USB3 is backward compatible with USB2 so using the IU01 inside a predominately USB3 PC would still make some sense. You can then keep the motherboard USB3 headers for devices that will actually use the extra throughput and attach your USB2 items to the IU01.

If and when the time comes when pretty much every USB connected device is USB3 as standard, then maybe NZXT will see the need for an update but I think USB3 ubiquity will be a long time coming.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    If and when the time comes when pretty much every USB connected device is USB3 as standard, then maybe NZXT will see the need for an update but I think USB3 ubiquity will be a long time coming.
    My bad, I didn't know The Man was on TBCS keeping technology down!
    It's less a matter of customer needs than it is cost when it comes to throwing new, optional technology on something like a motherboard. As the cost of including USB 3 decreases, more mobos will have all 3.0 ports instead of a mix that includes 2.0s. Sure, we may not need the bandwidth, but there are many things all around us that we don't need. We have them because they're nice to have when the occasion calls for it.
    I would expect a USB hub to last just about forever and I'd rather not be plugging a 2.0 hub in between a 3.0 device and a 3.0 header. Since 3.0 is already out, I'd pay more money for one so that I can use it for the next 5-7 years.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Good review. I personally have very little in the way of internal USB devices in my computer, but I know that's a bit of an oddity (especially in these circles ). The two ports are a nice touch; I've seen far too many instances where someone had to run a USB cable out the back of their case to plug into an external port. Not only does it risk damage to the cable, it just looks sloppy.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

I have this in my case, and my PC has USB 3.0. All USB 3.0 motherboards as of right now only have USB 2.0 on the internal headers. The pin header layout for USB 3.0 is still not standardized. Until there is a standard configuration for the pins there will be no internal USB 3.0. I was asking a motherboard designer about it for a review I am working on. To the best of his knowledge that standard is not anywhere near being finalized so for now USB 2.0 will have to do for internal connections. Also as far as I know, most things like card readers, LCD displays, etc that usually use the internal headers will stay on USB 2.0 because they are unable to saturate the 2.0 bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    I have this in my case, and my PC has USB 3.0. All USB 3.0 motherboards as of right now only have USB 2.0 on the internal headers. The pin header layout for USB 3.0 is still not standardized. Until there is a standard configuration for the pins there will be no internal USB 3.0. I was asking a motherboard designer about it for a review I am working on. To the best of his knowledge that standard is not anywhere near being finalized so for now USB 2.0 will have to do for internal connections. Also as far as I know, most things like card readers, LCD displays, etc that usually use the internal headers will stay on USB 2.0 because they are unable to saturate the 2.0 bandwidth.
    That was the deathblow to my computer-technology spirit...
    We should march on Washington DC until the president gets this all straightened out!

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    We should march on Washington DC until the president gets this all straightened out!
    Hurray. More government regulation in completely unrelated areas.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Hurray. More government regulation in completely unrelated areas.
    LOL I think you accidentally hit the period key instead of exclamation points...

Sorry, I do that a lot..they're so close together on the keyboard..
    --Benjamin Franklin