Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: These new Modders are amazing ...

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: These new Modders are amazing ...

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Baby
    So where did y'all get started with modding? What inspired that first modification?

I saw the coolermaster atcs 200 and fell in love It had to have a window, its been a downhill run into addiction ever since
    gordyhand.co.uk

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Baby
    So where did y'all get started with modding? What inspired that first modification?
    Well, that depends upon which projcet you consider my *first* mod. See, there is this system I was trying to overclock and I was searching the web about it and came across some people talking about heat issues, so I cut a blowhole in the top. Then I stumbled across Virtual Hideout and saw some cases with windows, and I cut one of those. I even went to Radio Shack and bought some LEDs to try and light it and made a little "remote" that could turn the lights on and off. This was on 2000, and was my first attempt at a mod.

My first real mod, one that was planned (somewhat) and have a theme was BlackDeath. I did this the summer of 2001. It was an Antec SX-1030B case that I went with a whole death & skulls theme. I started out with somethng functional, but putting a USB port on the side of the front bezel using a FrontX kit. Then I moved on to carving a skull out of the door and lighting it red with blue lights in he bottom half of the bezel. Then came the rest of the case with a big window on the side panel, top window, blow holes, red and green lights, skull and scrossbone appliques and fan grills... the whole thing. When I posted it on Virtual Hideout's Cool Case Gallery is when GruntmaN saw it and told me about his new site, GruntvillE. The rest of my modding career is documented over there.

Somewhere along the line at GruntvillE is when I first ran into Crimson and mashie and was completely blown away by their work. It was almost enough to make me stop modding 'cause there was no way I was ever going to build stuff at their level. Luckily it didn't. and I even got to meet them, along with scopEDog to hang out in NYC for an afternoon. Oh, and if mashie ever challenges you to a game of air hockey, run.
    ================================================== =========
    "And when you kill a man you're a murderer. Kill many and you're a conqueror. Kill them all and you're a God." - Megadeth

Case Wizard

I started with painting my old P1 (133mhz). Didnt like the color of the case Beige (Over done and black is getting there as well). Made 99.5 % of all of the mistakes on it. (Paint chipped and the beige showed its ugly face again).

Next mod was to put a window in a case (Still have that as my mail server) but never finished painting the case because I rushed the window panel paint job and spidered web the paint.

Now that I started Visiting the Forums and seeing some of the others out there. I take my time because I know there are others out there doing it as well. Plus I dont want my computers to look like Homer Simpson did them .

Heat as well. Around 2003.
    My first 2 mods involved an old telco server's 9 inch fans and a fresh coat of spraypaint. Well, the painting job sucks and I'm still planning on fixing it, just have to have the time. The fans had to be rewired to molex, but that's not too hard.

Now I have a 16 inch fan out of the top of an old rack and I'm planning on doing a duct system on one of my next 2 or 3 mods.

My next mod was a homemade window in my fileserver and one 9" fan mounted into it. Works like a charm. Also rigged up an 18 wheeler light into molex as a lightsource. It's ghetto, but by god I made it by hand and didn't buy it from some store.