Thread: kinda dumb question but...

Default kinda dumb question but...

... are all 3.5" HDDs mounted the same? as in are the screw holes always in the same place on the HDD? is this standardized or does it change per manufacturer? workin on my xbox mod and I eventually want to change hdds, just want to make sure that when I make my mounting system for the HDD it will be interchangeable haha. thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Default Re: kinda dumb question but...

If they were purpose built for a game system, they could be different. But all manufacturers have to comply with the SFF standards when designing their drives for a PC. That way they all fit properly in your computer.

The dimensions of a 3.5" drive are specified in the SFF standard specifications SFF-8300 and SFF-8301 which were incorporated into the EIA-740 specification by the Electronic Industries Association (EIA)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_bay
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

ok. I was 99% positive that they wouldnt change the screw holes on me... but I just wanted to double check. I think I should be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Regular xbox uses standard IDE hdd's. A quick and easy upgrade for performance on them is to replace the ribbon cable with an eide cable. Load times are about 25% faster (according to my observations).

If you *do* go to a new hdd later, a 7200 rpm hdd makes for a BIG improvement, not to mention increased capacity for homebrew or whatever. Not that we endorse that here.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro