Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any right handed, left eye dominant shooters out there?

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Default Any right handed, left eye dominant shooters out there?

My buddy's at the Border Patrol academy and he's right handed, left eye dominant. He's having troubles at the range and I'm looking for some advice for him.

I told him to practice on compensating with his dummy pistol in his off time but there's surely other tricks to it, or at least I'd like to think so. I him him he'd just wanna use the sights as usual but in his case aim an inch or two over to compensate.

I would think a laser sight would surely help in this situation so you can really see what the sights are doing when switching eyes but they obviously don't have laser sights on the range. I'm hoping to pick up an airsoft p2000 or something that I can set on sight for him and send to him.

Any other advice?
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

Default Re: Any right handed, left eye dominant shooters out there?

learn to shoot left handed? I am left handed and can shoot almost as good right handed as left. just takes a little getting used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

That was another idea but I guess they're making him shoot with his dominant hand.
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

From first hand experience, I can say that it's a pain with rifles - you simply can't get your eye down far enough. Scopes make it almost possible, but only if the stock is small or doesn't have a cheekplate.

I'm not just left eye dominant - my eyesight is really not good in my right eye at all. When I was younger, I was a competitive archer and had to switch hands. Whilst you can't overcome your eyesight problems, you can start to overcome handedness.

If it's just pistols, he can crank his head right down so his right cheek is almost touching his bicep. Rifles + shotguns, if he can't compensate, he'll have to go lefty.

My dad is the exact opposite, he's a southpaw that is right eye dominate. He has learned to use his left eye for aiming. One way of doing this is to place translucent scotch tape (not the crystal clear stuff) over your shooting/safety glasses. If you watched Top Shot on the History channel, Kelly did the same thing with his shooting glasses/goggles.
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

You could alway have him do what they did to Nicholas Cage in Firebirds, and have him shoot with a pair of panties covering his dominant eye..

Actually from everything I have been told mtekk shared the most common way of overcoming the dominant eye issue.

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    You could alway have him do what they did to Nicholas Cage in Firebirds, and have him shoot with a pair of panties covering his dominant eye..

Actually from everything I have been told mtekk shared the most common way of overcoming the dominant eye issue.
    No good off the range or if you have a sight impairment in your right eye though

I guess if there is an actual impairment that corrective lenses can't compensate for, it's true. Sounds like the most logical to switch hands then.

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

I was on rifle team in high school and we had a few right handed, left eye guys on the team. Our coach did what Mtekk suggested except he actually had shooting glasses that had a translucent right lens. It worked great for those guys and a one was actually one of the better shooters on the team.

i'm not sure if i missed something but you can use a right handed pistol with either eye. i just tried on my airsoft and it wasn't that hard. i see double guns since i keep both eyes open, but i know which one i'm aiming with.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v