Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple StarCraft 2 mod? Other ideas?

Default Simple StarCraft 2 mod? Other ideas?

Hi guys!

I've been checking TBCS regularly ever since PCGamer featured it a few years back. I am buying an awesome new PC soon (around $2000 in parts), and was thinking... it should not only be awesome, it should look awesome! I've done a couple mods in the past and would consider myself in between a rookie and intermediate. So...

I haven't yet picked out a case for this PC, but I am thinking one of the HAF series cases. I kind of want to do a StarCraft 2 mod as I've invested so many hours in it, but I am not nearly skilled enough to do any sort of advanced molding/remodeling. I can handle fiber glass (i.e., hoodscoops) and creative solutions (i.e., PVC exhaust pipes), but anything like vacuum molded rocks are way beyond me. Anyone have some thoughts on what I could do to make an awesome case for my skill level? Here are some of my case mods to give you an idea of what I can do...

http://forums.gamersnexus.net/downlo....php?id=30&t=1
    http://forums.gamersnexus.net/downlo....php?id=31&t=1
    http://forums.gamersnexus.net/download/file.php?id=143

Default Re: Simple StarCraft 2 mod? Other ideas?

If you can't handle simple vacuum-formed rocks, then you shouldn't be modding computers. A mod will be around shortly to delete your account, rookie...

Yes, I'm just kidding.

What do you love most about StarCraft? Do you have a favorite race or unit?
    You can peruse StarCraft 2 artwork here for some inspiration as well.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

First off, welcome aboard! I have tried playing SC2 but just can't get into it. That said....ODIN!
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

I was THIS close to ctrl+w-ing when I saw mDust's response Thanks for the welcome, guys! I do love the Odin idea, but psssh... I couldn't do him justice.

My personal favorite would be anything Zerg or Protoss based, though I'm going to have to say for purpose of modding a case, Protoss/Terran would be easiest. The case I linked to above is the one I bought, and due to its boxy nature, I feel like those races would be easiest.

That said... I have a feeling that there is a Thor in this case somewhere. It's just so boxy, I know I can turn it into some sort of Terran building or structure, the question is, how? What kinds of tips or tricks would you recommend to a rookie that don't involve anything way beyond my ability - for example, what tricks might you employ to make the HAF case look terran-esque (or for those who don't play StarCraft 2, mech-like)? I think if anyone can give me a few seedy ideas to get going, I might be able to come up with more than "paint a marine on the box and call it a mod"

I'll be back later tonight/tomorrow with some ideas, gonna get my supplies organized! Edit.: Checking the artwork now

I would suggest studying what others have done here and here. And then taking it one (or ten) step further with the materials and tools you have available.

To make it look Thor-like, you'll have to add a bit of material and bulk to the case. How you go about doing that depends on what your tastes are and how big/heavy of a case you're willing to deal with. I'm not saying you need to model the whole thing out...a car mod often only needs a hood-scoop, pinstripes and a couple details to be recognizable. That Thor is a hulking SOB though, which is one of its main characteristics.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Thor

Thor is quite the hulk. I would be the happiest person in the world if I had the skill to make my own chassis, which of course would be in the shape of a PYLON!!!

Ideas so far:

-Use foam or fiberglass (or something?) to create a bunker out of the top fan, add LEDs that flicker every X seconds to look like gunfire.

-High-res decal sticker of the Marine's shoulders and up, slap it on the right side of the case... OR

-Stencil the right side of the case with some sort of red spray paint, in the shape of the Ghost's nuclear launch indicator. The big red bio-hazard thingy. Maybe add a button attached to a soundbox that broadcasts ghost quotes, "Ghost reporting," "Nuclear launch detected," "Never knew what hit 'em" etc.

-Get some fancy green LEDs and model out (mesh?) the ghost's mask. My case has PERFECT notches sticking out of the sides that would be the 3 little eye/targeting reticules that the ghost has on his mask. Would go on the left side.

-Make an SCV case. Oh yeah, I said it.

Thoughts?

I haven't played 2 yet and it's been at least 10 years since I last played the first game. I don't recall much of it at all to be honest. I can't really suggest any specific ideas.

Where are the other StarCraft fans at? Come out of hiding guys...

^ Probably playing StarCraft 2, like I've been for the last few hours

I get my new case within the next few days. As soon as I get it I'll start sketching out some design ideas... Once I start on my mod, if I decide to post any pics, should I post them in this thread or start a new one in the WIP area?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lelldorianx View Post
    ^ Probably playing StarCraft 2, like I've been for the last few hours

I get my new case within the next few days. As soon as I get it I'll start sketching out some design ideas... Once I start on my mod, if I decide to post any pics, should I post them in this thread or start a new one in the WIP area?

Thanks
    Post them in the WIP area and link to it in here.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit but if anyone is interested in playing with me please PM me

Now back to the original topic of the thread:
    I like the bunker idea, having one on top of your case would look awesome. Painting a nuclear launch symbol on the backside would also look great, maybe you could print out a high res sticker and just ctrl-v it on the side of the case. You could also print out Kerrigan or whatever other motive. I'd ditch the sound effects though since they're probably gonna drive you nuts after a while. The ghost mask idea also sounds neat but you'd probably want to keep it as uniform as possible and not have too many different things going on.
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal