Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: All-in-one pc?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: All-in-one pc?

What you want is a flexible riser. Basically, instead of a single PCB it's two PCBs joined by a ribbon cable.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Perhaps fab your own riser? For example, salvage a card (cut off PCB connector edge) and a socket (from another mobo) and maybe some ribbon, then solder all those connects ...

Might be too "ugly" for this project, but possibly your only realistic option. You don't want to add latency/errors to signal timing with excessive connector lengths, though that might not be an issue.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Here:
    http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CDgQrQQwAg

You can get one for ~$30-40, and personally I would go that route instead of trying to make your own...not worth the time it would take to solder all those connections.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    You can get one for ~$30-40, and personally I would go that route instead of trying to make your own...not worth the time it would take to solder all those connections.
    Unless you're broke and don't mind soldering. Just sayin, because I am that kind of cheap bastard.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    ...not worth the time it would take to solder all those connections.

Blasphemer! It's always worth the time to solder all the connections.

(Although I suppose I do agree with what you're saying, in principle, x88x, that would be a lot of time/work to improvise a $30 part)

Hahaha, hey, if it's a choice between cutting up a PCIe card and MBB, then soldering either 64 or 96 small connections, 3 of which would involve sanding the enamel off a PCB...or buying a $30 part...well, let's just say unless making the riser was the end goal instead of the means to an end I might do it, but otherwise I'd just buy the part.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Fresh Paint

Yh I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy the part... hehehe

Thanks so much for the help guys.

I don't mind the insides being hacky and ugly, this is about the outside of the case. I just need to make sure that everything is as tidy as possible. I'm currently looking at http://www.beyondinfinite.com for an lcd for hte system. Hopefully I can get one that has minimal BS attached to it.

I couldn't believe it, I was looking up lcds to take apart and someof them had a depth of 8" (obviously with the casing) but still I want mine to be less than that.

"hte system" ?

Fresh Paint

the system*

Fresh Paint

Ok so I found a suitable monitor. The problem is that a) its a massive 30" b) its expensive $700 and c) I'd have to buy two. So perhaps its not so suitable. It's the same panel that apple uses in their Cinema HD screens though I'm really struggling to get this monitor. its bloody annoying. The rest of the components are pretty much set I think.

I was sniped on ebay to a 24" acer lcd which woulda been perfect. £155 too! gah! Does anyone have any idea where I can get an affordable screen from with a 1920x1200 res?